LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

94 Z28 LT1 runs when cold, shuts off when hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 94 Z28 LT1 runs when cold, shuts off when hot

Alright so heres the scoop, I bought this 94 Z about a month ago as a fixer uper(needed a tranny and exhaust) since then i had a 3 inch borla exhaust ran from headers back, and just finished up installing a rebuilt 4L60E tranny.. I couldent wait to drive it and see how it went.....WELLLL when it got finished I took it for a ride and it runs great for about 10 to 15min while its cold....BUT it seems like when it gets hot it shuts off and my rpm gauge goes crazy! then i have to let it sit for about 3 to 5min. then it will fire right up like there was never nothing wrong untill u drive it another 10min and it does the same thing! i took the breather off of it and got a k & n filter and that diddent help...but i noticed that when it starts sputtering before it dies if i spray starting fluid in the breather it stays running(spits and sputters but stays running) so idk if any of you had this problem of not but any help would be great before i waste 200 bucks on a fuel pump that might not be the problem!!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM

it cost me more than 500 dollars just for the pump! my fuel pump failed on me last year, my car was running fine one day and suddenly wouldnt start, every odd time it would start and run, but never gradually die and start sputtering. did you check if u have fuel pressure at the end of your rails? you have a cap there.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM

oh and also, check your engine coolant temperature sensor. maybe you forgot to somehow plug it back in or broke it during tranny swap or even just working on it

Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Droid

Check engine lite lit?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I went and bought a fuel pump relay and no luck their, still happening... and the "check engine" light comes on about 3 seconds before it shuts off... and I havent checked the fuel pressure simply because im asuming it gets good pressure because it runs fine while its running, but then it suddenly shuts off... thing im going to buy fuel pump and install it when I wake up in the morn...Prey it fixes it cawz if not im going to be mad wasting all that money!!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

hmmmm never heard of engine coolant temperature sensor but im going to look it up in a sec and check it out in the morning.... I forgot to mention it never did it when I first bought the car(diddent drive it far because only had 1st and 2nd) but I did run it out of gas, and thats when the problem started(gas runs out on 1/4 tank....) so maybe I messed somthing up when that happend!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

few thingws too check...i would deff check fuel pressure before wasting that much money on fuel pump! possible culprits could be...optispark, ignition control module, coil, or fuel pump...my guess wouldnt be the fuel pump, if it starts and runs just fine untill it dies.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear member

Definately check fuel pressure under multiple conditions if possible.Fuel filter??Just so you know the fuel pump is not a five minute job.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

yea, id check some more stuff on it befor you were wanting to replace the pump. you either cut a hole above the tank and pull it out that way, but thats cutting a whole in your car. or you have to take the rear axle out. so id make sure that was it befor you go threw all that.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have it scanned for trouble codes. if u are getting a ses light just before it dies then u should look to see if u have a trouble code stored in the computer. the code should tell u where to look. could be something as simple as a bad oil pressure sensor. changing fuel pump is an all day if not a two day job.

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 LT1 runs when cold, shuts off when hot