LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

93-98 differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Default 93-98 differences

While this is my first post here, I am not totally new to the lt1 platform. I am working on an lt1 (95 Z28) swap in to an 80 el camino, so I am aware of some information but not enough. I don't currently own a camaro, but I am looking at this generation of camaro for a few reasons but I won't bore you with those. I have had my little gokart of a car backed into and almost run off the road tooooooooooooooo many times to count, I don't want to eat the gas prices of a good size truck and I like the idea of a good deal of HP on the stock motor. I will be selling my current daily driver and using that $$$ to get the camaro. The camaro that I get will have; manual tranny, t-tops, power windows and locks, and will be a Z28. I am not too pickey on the color since it can be changed easy. This will be a daily driver and will get some mild upgrades, intake, headers, dual pipes with cross over, flowmaster 40's, and some ecu tweeking. I may do more later but I think the HP and TQ of this type of setup will keep me happy for a while.

When I was researching info for my lt1 swap I remember some people mentioning some differences between the 93-95 lt1 and the 96-98 motor. These differences made it sound as if the 93-95 was the better choice, But I can't for the life of me remember what they are. SO this brings me to the knowledge of experienced camaro owners. Is there really differences between the years of z28's within the 93-98 generation of camaros? What are these differences and what would be the pro's and con's? What should I look out for as trouble areas on these cars?

Thanks for helping out the newb.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 93-98 differences

98s & up are equipped with an LS1 engine, which IMO is a better engine than the LT1. Both are reliable engines if properly maintained, but the LS1 is capable of producing more power. The egines are completely different with very few interchangeable parts.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 93-98 differences

ORIGINAL: z28pete

98s & up are equipped with an LS1 engine, which IMO is a better engine than the LT1. Both are reliable engines if properly maintained, but the LS1 is capable of producing more power. The egines are completely different with very few interchangeable parts.
The LS1 Generation III Engine is more technologically advanced than the LT1 in terms of an all aluminum block, ignition coils placed above each spark plug, and some other refinements however the GEN III LS1 can not hold a candle to the LT1 in terms of the amount of power it can handle. It is a proven fact that the LS1 will push coolant with extreme power increases due to the aluminum block.

The LT1 can be converted to a coil pack system therefore making it a better choice for racing. The cast iron block of the LT1 can be modified 10 times cheaper than that of the LS1. The plastic intake manifold of the LS1 is also a weak spot in terms of the guys looking to use Nitrous as it’s made of plastic while the LT1 is made of aluminum.

I still can not believe this place refers to the 1986-1992 Camaro's as "Third Generation"... WTF!? You mean to tell me GM put a second generation motor in a third generation car? HAHAHAHA Referring to the 86-92 Camaro as a 3rd generation is totally out of context and inappropriate. The thread we made about this in that forum was locked because they can’t stand to look at the truth. The term generation should not be used to identify the body style of a Camaro. The term generation is used by GM to identify ENGINES! Not body style!
That’s all I have to say about that.