LS Series Tech 1998-2002

New and looking to buy 4th gen LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

how could anyone not be happy owning a camaro? sure it might break a ton and youll get pissed at it but then ull look at it a realize that you own a camaro. I feel this way about my 6er.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by garner
Like I said before, I'm taking my time so I can get something that I really like instead of jumping in and getting something that I'm not happy with
Look

I'll play along

you have $15,000 USD cash in hand

around Florida where I live, I can pick up qty 2 LS1 powered Fbodies and keep change in my pocket and they are in good shape.

Here are some suggestions. If you really have cash-in-hand then post a "vehicles wanted" within craigslist and let people call you. But, you had best be serious and not wasting the time of others. Also, have you used autotrader.com or cars.com? The better condition vehicles tend to be listed there while vehicles listed in craigslist tend to be in tougher shape or are distress sales (which are good for a buyer)

But, and I'm saying this in the open and not via PM. Your thread just sniffs of insincerity. If you do a search of this forum or other fbody forums (camaroz28, fbody, lstlt1 etc) you will see a bunch of threads from young folk (grammar and spelling always tips their hand) and it's either

1: hey, I'm looking to get a (fill in the blank) and then the links to "for sale ads" get posted, lots of dreaming and months later, the poster disappeared having never been able to buy a vehicle, or their mom took away their Internet.

2: I am either buying or just bought (fill in the blank) and i NEED 500HP and want to supercharge/turbocharge.

My son caught the car bug from me and i'm happy to see that you have caught it. I suggest that if you have some extra scratch (old timers term for cash), and have space in your back yard or garage, go buy a beater even if it's not a camaro, buy some hand tools and start to see that you can fix things and tinkering with a car is a good way for you and your buddies to spend an afternoon or Saturday. I paid for my first car (daddy had to buy it because of my age) when I was 15 and spent 1 year fixing it so i would have wheels when I got my license. Sure, others made fun of my old Ford but it was mine, bought and paid for by me, fixed by me and there was no substitute for the pride i felt.

So, welcome to the car world, please don't dig yourself into a deeper hole, and enjoy the camaraderie

Last edited by torque_is_good; 09-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Look

I'll play along

you have $15,000 USD cash in hand

around Florida where I live, I can pick up qty 2 LS1 powered Fbodies and keep change in my pocket and they are in good shape.

Here are some suggestions. If you really have cash-in-hand then post a "vehicles wanted" within craigslist and let people call you. But, you had best be serious and not wasting the time of others. Also, have you used autotrader.com or cars.com? The better condition vehicles tend to be listed there while vehicles listed in craigslist tend to be in tougher shape or are distress sales (which are good for a buyer)

But, and I'm saying this in the open and not via PM. Your thread just sniffs of insincerity. If you do a search of this forum or other fbody forums (camaroz28, fbody, lstlt1 etc) you will see a bunch of threads from young folk (grammar and spelling always tips their hand) and it's either

1: hey, I'm looking to get a (fill in the blank) and then the links to "for sale ads" get posted, lots of dreaming and months later, the poster disappeared having never been able to buy a vehicle, or their mom took away their Internet.

2: I am either buying or just bought (fill in the blank) and i NEED 500HP and want to supercharge/turbocharge.

My son caught the car bug from me and i'm happy to see that you have caught it. I suggest that if you have some extra scratch (old timers term for cash), and have space in your back yard or garage, go buy a beater even if it's not a camaro, buy some hand tools and start to see that you can fix things and tinkering with a car is a good way for you and your buddies to spend an afternoon or Saturday. I paid for my first car (daddy had to buy it because of my age) when I was 15 and spent 1 year fixing it so i would have wheels when I got my license. Sure, others made fun of my old Ford but it was mine, bought and paid for by me, fixed by me and there was no substitute for the pride i felt.

So, welcome to the car world, please don't dig yourself into a deeper hole, and enjoy the camaraderie
I have used autotrader and cars. I found a 1975 camaro with a 350 for $1,800 that I think I might get and fix up so I can learn how to work on a car without all the electronics of modern cars and I don't think I'll have to worry about emissions since it's so old so I can tinker around without getting in trouble with emissions

Old 10-08-2010, 01:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So..what's the verdict? You buyin an LS1 or the car you just mentioned above? I'd stay away from the LT powered cars if you want bang for your buck once you start modifying..if you do. 15k will buy you a decent F-body. If you're in the market to buy, go out this weekend and look and let us know what you find. Make sure it's not beat to hell- syncros aren't grinding, goes into gear fine, doesn't smoke like a b*tch, isn't a lot of stuff leaking from the trans, rear, engine,etc. The usual stuff. I always liked the looks of the WS6, so personally I'd buy one of those. I couldn't find one at the tail end of '02 which is why I ended up with the SS. Now, go blow that 15k this weekend and come back with a car.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cam02ss
So..what's the verdict? You buyin an LS1 or the car you just mentioned above? I'd stay away from the LT powered cars if you want bang for your buck once you start modifying..if you do. 15k will buy you a decent F-body. If you're in the market to buy, go out this weekend and look and let us know what you find. Make sure it's not beat to hell- syncros aren't grinding, goes into gear fine, doesn't smoke like a b*tch, isn't a lot of stuff leaking from the trans, rear, engine,etc. The usual stuff. I always liked the looks of the WS6, so personally I'd buy one of those. I couldn't find one at the tail end of '02 which is why I ended up with the SS. Now, go blow that 15k this weekend and come back with a car.
Yeah definitely not gonna go blow my money this weekend cause if I do then I'll probably see another car I want soon and end up selling the car I buy this weekend. I don't think I have to worry about synchro with an auto. I'm gonna look at leaks and all that. Only thing is I don't know how much some things take to repair. Like I just recently learned that a blown headgasket can be fixed in my driveway for about $75 whereas I thought that it would require a new motor

Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by garner
I have used autotrader and cars. I found a 1975 camaro with a 350 for $1,800 that I think I might get and fix up so I can learn how to work on a car without all the electronics of modern cars and I don't think I'll have to worry about emissions since it's so old so I can tinker around without getting in trouble with emissions
36 years old!!!!

Be sure it's been in Texas, Florida or California (or similar climate) all of its life.

Oh, with respect to electronics vs "old school", there is no comparison. I'll take new technology any day of the week.

You can do a restore of an 89 vicariously by following my 3rd gen thread. I'm heading to the boneyard tomorrow looking for little odds and ends that could cost a fortune at "year one" or "classic industries"

My objective is to perform a budget restoration and the price for a new arm rests, headliner board and material and rugs just kills me. I already bought the leather upholstery to the seats. Yes, I could simply buy them from those 2 supliers but I'm trying to stick within a budget and dang is interior stuff expensive. Engine parts are reasonable compared to interior.

In fact, there are now 2 or 3 of us doing a 3rd gen. Keep posting and we welcome your questions as you prepare to enter the fun world of cars.

PS- I'm sorry but I hope I won't be posting any build threads on my 4th gen. I've already been through it and she's still running great.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally decided what I'm going to do. I'm either going to sell or trade my genesis and buy a 2011 5.0 and then I'm going to buy a diesel truck and mod it with the $15,000 from this search

Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

whaa, brand new 5.0, DAYUM