LS Series Tech 1998-2002

New and looking to buy 4th gen LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Failed Devices, any opinion on the firebird vs camaro choice? Are there any other differences than looks, seats, and steering wheel controls since at least 1998 compared to camaro in 2000?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

The interior is different (layout is same, but styling and all that is different). As far as drivetrain goes, they are the same; but the Trans Am seats are super nice, they have nice adjustable side bolsters and good support all around. I like the interior setup too with the radio head unit and controls better than my Camaro's. Other than that, its all about looks. I believe the Firebirds are a bit more "rare" (at least in my area) as I have seeny Camaro's around every day, but no Firebirds. Not to mention a WS6 just looks like it is kicking your ***.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
The interior is different (layout is same, but styling and all that is different). As far as drivetrain goes, they are the same; but the Trans Am seats are super nice, they have nice adjustable side bolsters and good support all around. I like the interior setup too with the radio head unit and controls better than my Camaro's. Other than that, its all about looks. I believe the Firebirds are a bit more "rare" (at least in my area) as I have seeny Camaro's around every day, but no Firebirds. Not to mention a WS6 just looks like it is kicking your ***.
So the two vertical switches on the seats are for bolsters? Yeah I like the looks of the trans am ws6 cause of the hood that looks mean where as the camaro ss hood still looks mean, but not as much. Only thing I don't like is that the Z28 and trans am without ws6 look like a v6 camaro or firebird so I'll probably swap hoods. As for radio I'll have to see how ease of use is and how they look in person cause in pictures they look outdated...then again they are from 1998, might just swap out for a custom nav radio. How's ease of use between the two and how outdated is the format?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

1 switch is for lumbar, other is for bolsters.

Actually with the Firebirds there is another trim level. The Formula looks just like a V6 Firebird, just with Formula badges. The Trans Am has the high rise spoiler and a different front bumber than the Formula but has the same "sleek beak" (flat hood); the WS6 is a Trans Am with the Ram Air hood.

That is a Formula (see the turn signals and fog lights).

Trans Am without the WS6.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

My radio is good enough for me. I have the 500 watt Monsoon system, which came with 8 speakers I believe. My head unit does have an equalizer on it which is nice.

(not my pic)

Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all your help Failed Devices. Now I just have to figure out if I want a camaro or firebird and if I'd rather have a more expensive lower mileage one with less mod money or a cheap high mileage one with more mod money

Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by garner
Thanks for all your help Failed Devices. Now I just have to figure out if I want a camaro or firebird and if I'd rather have a more expensive lower mileage one with less mod money or a cheap high mileage one with more mod money
ask mom or dad to confirm this and that includes their Hyundai of theirs that you are learning to drive.

good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good

Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
ask mom or dad to confirm this and that includes their Hyundai of theirs that you are learning to drive.

good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good
That's my hyundai not my mom's. She has her own cars. My mom knows that from experience which is why she gave me a $15,000 check to buy a camaro instead of $5,000, even though I could get one that cheap, so that I can find one in good condition

Old 09-18-2010, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you get a cheap, high mileage one you may not have money left for mods after you do all of the basic maintance. If the car needs new tires, new shocks, new brakes, a clutch, etc, all your mod money is gone. Find a car that has a maintance record available and is in good condition, lower the miles the better. Worry about modifying the car later down the road.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
If you get a cheap, high mileage one you may not have money left for mods after you do all of the basic maintance. If the car needs new tires, new shocks, new brakes, a clutch, etc, all your mod money is gone. Find a car that has a maintance record available and is in good condition, lower the miles the better. Worry about modifying the car later down the road.
True. Maintenance can be a pita sometimes especially with older cars. Thank you for all your help. Too bad you're in Connecticut or I would ask for you to come with me when I find one I really like since I haven't found a red or ssom one

Last edited by garner; 09-18-2010 at 05:48 PM.