LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Motor mounts, exaust and some other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Default Motor mounts, exaust and some other stuff

I bought an 02 camaroZ28 saturday I love it by the way. when i bought it there was a rattle in the exaust didnt think much by it caus i knew i wouldnt keep stock exaust long. So i went to a muffler shop yesterday and they told me that my exaust is fine but it is what is making the noise. The motor mounts are worn out and its causing the engine to flex more than its suppose to so the exaust is hitting the chassis. So i need motor mounts but im doing it myself cause they wanted 400 bucks to put them on they said its a hard job. I usually do my own work but i never done motor mounts before. are they hard to do? whats the easiest steps to do it? and stock or poly from jegs? the poly are cheaper but i read some bad reviews on the trans mount on them. Also i am having trouble with figuring out dual exaust i went to several shops and they all say you cant put true duals on a camaro. i want headers and true duals but got to keep the cats or if someone knows how to fool the computer to thinking theres cats i can buy dummy cats. but i was told you need shorty headers with cats and ive read up here you better off with long ones. and muffler selection ive always run flowmaster super 40s on my trucks but they say i got to have a special muffler for the camaro I have no clue. I want it deep and throaty but no crackle and low to medium when u easy on the petal but loud when u shut down on her. shes got 92,000 on her dont know the service record anything yall would recomend doing to her? I want to flush the trans but kinda scared to cause my experience with them is when u change the fluid they quit working after about 6 months. im going to do a tune up on her to whats the best plugs and wires and gap for the plugs?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

if your gonna do motor mounts go poly, you have to jack the car, and get into the clam shells the mounts are in, they need to be removed. it is hard, you have to jack the engine and stuff, plus air con etc are in the way and may have to be removed. I havent done it but read a write up somewhere, i was gonna do it when i did my duals but have to order from US (in in UK) and they would have taken too long

Read other thread on exhaust tone, you cant really describe a sound well, you gotta here it, and diff people like different things so get on you tube, you can expect your to sound the same as other camaros/TAs out there

upto you on trans fluid, again in other thread here in 4th gen it was discussed, if you fluid looks 'ok' your trans is prob good and not full of crap so a change will be ok. if the fluid is brown, burn smelling, then the trans is full of crap so DONT change it as you was the crap from the clutches etc that has been there ages and remove build ups the trans functions correctly now with, so after a change they give up as the new fluid is too slippy

get some good 5 w 30 oil and good filter, im running a k&N pro oil filter now, DONT USE FRAM (oil pressure is s**t and they might collapse!!! ) , some ngk, champion or such plugs, i used nkg tr5 before (smallest gap about 0.38") but lots of threads etc and there is no diff much in gap, only idle quality may be better with smaller gap 0.4-0.5 than 0.6 (stock for early 98-99 cars, after changed to 0.5 i think as people complained car was 'lumpy' on idle? ). Get some GMMP wires or MSD if you want to do them, but no gains here, if they are ok then they are ok really.

Get an SLP and K&N filter thrown in their too

Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

fram filters arent any good?
o no...

Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

there ok i suppose, i ran them for 6 months but then heard bad reviews, also my oil pressure was a quarter on idle, where is had previously being half. now with k&n oil filter its back at a half. Fram seemed to get worse faster, they do say to replace it every 2000miles on the box too :O

Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM

2,000 miles on any oil filter or just fram? is K&N the best oil filter? How often do you change your oil? I usually change mine every 3,000 miles and i usually use castrol syntec. Is the ls6 intake better than the upgrades on jegs?

Old 07-05-2010, 03:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

just on fram, change mine every 4000-5000 and use gm dexos 2 super synth 5-30w oil. K&N seems pretty good , they all do same job either way but i got them cheap so i was happy.

LS6 are prob cheaper to come by, i actually haven't noticed too much of a difference on a stock block and heads but when i get the cam there are big gains there

Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Ive took intake and heads off before i try to do as much as i can for myself that way i save money and i know its getting done. But ive never done a cam before are they hard to do? do you got to chage the lifters and push rods and rocker arms when u do it? whats the best to use? And how bad will it effect your gas mileage? Im getting about 20 mpgs right now on 93 octane dont want to mess it up to bad.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Overdrive Member

I will have to check my idle oil pressure... But I use WalMart SuperTech Full Synthetic and change every 4K Mi. -- I don't trust the built-in oil life system after speaking with a former GM failure investigator. 3K Mi. on Full Synth is too soon, I may even be a little early at 4K. It depends on conditions like dust and how the car has been driven, etc.

Originally Posted by Cletus83
2,000 miles on any oil filter or just fram? is K&N the best oil filter? How often do you change your oil? I usually change mine every 3,000 miles and i usually use castrol syntec. Is the ls6 intake better than the upgrades on jegs?