Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by LeadFarmer
what about this stuff
http://www.barsproducts.com/4444.htm
is stuff like this just a scam?
I've always been somewhat skeptical of those "engine rebuild in a can" type of products.
Your compression ratio is one of the things that affects h.p. and performance. The volume of the combustion chamber with the piston at bottom dead center, divided by the volume at top dead center, determines your (static) compression ratio.
That product is claiming that it will "fill in" scratches in the cylinder walls, thereby restoring some of your lost compression. And it's also an oil thickener. "Compression" and "compression ratio" are two totally different animals. Compression is a physical aspect, and compression ratio is a mathematical formula. Think of each of your cylinders as an air compressor. When the piston comes to the top (on the compression stroke), it's compressing the volume of air that's in there. If your rings and cylinder walls are worn, less air will get compressed because some of it will escape past the rings and go down into the crankcase. Btw, that's where you get a condition called "blow-by", which can make an external oily mess.
Does that oil additive work? It might give you a little bit less oil loss, if you're experiencing that now. Only way to tell is to monitor how much oil you lose between a given amount of miles driven. But that stuff isn't a miracle in a can where you pour it in and go rip up the streets where you couldn't before.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by JYangS14
Wait, are you suggesting that Dynojets gives a lower hp reading compared to Mustang dynos. I've always seen lower readings on Mustang dynos compared to dynojets.
My bad, got a short circuit in my brain. lol

Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

dyno = lie, just ball park figures, my mates tuned GTO pulled 360 at wheels on roller and 300 on hub machine

true test = 1/4 mile

plus autos are really poor to dyno. just run it down track, get a 13 dead or less and be happy

Old 12-20-2009, 03:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by adam86107
Where did you take your car to get it on a dyno? I want to get mine on a dyno before I do any mods to it so i can see how much of a difference I get.
I went to gearheads, a local mustang shop here in arlington,tx. they use dynojets.

and i'll post some numbers up of my 1/4 time once i get a chance to go.

I also don't think i'm suffering from "blow by" since i'm not suffering from any oil loss

Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by LeadFarmer
just dyno'd my car yesterday on a dynojet for the first time and needless to say i was quite disappointed. first run(276hp/280tq) 2nd(293/293) 3rd.took out my air filter, left lid open(302,302) my mods are as follows (borla catback no muffler, slp y pipe, mti lid) i have properly maintained the car, chained oil every 3k miles, seafoamed car when i got it 3 months ago, changed plugs after seafoam, checked fluids, have used engine decarb several times. never abused it. i'm the second owner and it has been sitting in a garage for 4yrs. 107k miles.

during my first run there was a lot of black smoke in the higher rpm band, and alot of fuel being dumped from exhaust, each run after it got better.

I really feel like this was a complete fail run, is this normal? or is something wrong?
my friend wit a 01 cobra came wit me and we have done the same exact mods on our cars(X pipe instead of Y) and mileage is about the same he pulled (293/293)
Hmm 292 is not all that bad for an A4 car. Yes its a little low but i am betting a new O2 sensor and a good tune would go a long way. I would recomend a good dyno tune to get your AFR and timing just right and i bet you would see a 25 horse jump and maybe even some more MPG.

It sounds like the car is running a little bit rich which an exhaust system and Y-pipe can do to a 4th gen LS car. It could also be one of the O2 sensors going out but not kicking a code yet. Most 4th gens will start getting bad readings from there O2's but the reading will not be so far off that it sets off the check engine light. This can cause the car to run a little richer then normal and could cost a few horses on the dyno.

Last edited by cbr600rx7; 12-22-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

oddly enough my service engine light has been up the past few months, computer said voltage on the O2 sensor in my cat is low, does this mean the sensor is bad thus causing the car to run rich or are my cats clogged thus the loss of power on the dyno? or is it from something else entirely?

Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like the O2 is on its way out and that would account for the car running rich on the dyno a your numbers being a little bit low for your mods. Replace both your O2s at the same time as normally you replace one just to have the other go out a month or two latter. If you replace both of them then you know your golden and the ECU is getting the correct readings from both sensors. I would even bet you have noticed a little drop in your MPG over the last month or so as well.

Of course it could also be your cats its hard to say but i would consider dropping them if you can. A good exhaust shop should be able to pull your Y-pipe off and look inside your cats and let you know if they need to be replaced or not.

I would be willing to bet money that you will notice a difference just driving on the street after you replace them and it should also show in your dyno and MPG numbers as well. I would not drive the car for too long with a bad sensor since it makes the car run very rich it can foul out your plugs and nasty up other sensors.

Last edited by cbr600rx7; 12-24-2009 at 09:55 AM.