Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

need advice on intake, carb and cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Default need advice on intake, carb and cam

First off I've takin the tired goodwrench 350 and TH350 out of my car. My budget is moderate and I'm not looking for a dragster just a good street car to cruise and later show. the motor was smoking and not performing well I'm sure the rings were leaking and losing compression, the trans was ok but I doubt when I install a new motor it will hold up so I'm just going to replace it now.It has all stock parts Quadra jet, exhaust manifolds, stockheads ect. I plan on buying another goodwrench 350 but just adding cam, intake, headers and possibly carb. A newTCI trans and 410 gears I'm sure with these upgrades the car will be fast enough for me my questions are as follows

1. is the HEIignition suffecient
2. is the carb suffecient (Quadra jetnot sure of its CFM)
3. with stock heads will putting a mild cam be unecessary
4.with these few upgrades what do you think my overall hp will be at the wheels

Old 03-08-2008, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: need advice on intake, carb and cam

your carb question is useless because you say nothing about it, but from the sounds of it you have no experience in dealing with this. because of that, instead of listening to a bunch of people on the internet that you can't really trust sometimes, because they might be setting you up for a Frankenstein motor because they just think bigger is better, I have different advice for you.

you could experiment with different combos until you got one right, but since you want to do a carb, cam and intake combo, you should just get an Edelbrock kit. they make a great matched combo that works great on the GM crate engines, and they offer it at a good price

Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 PM

yes i was thinking of about buying a combo kit since this is my 1st full build up and my 1st chevy my previous sports car was an efi mustang 5.0 so yes carbs are new for me. i was trying to avoid buying another carb if this one was sufficient but i guess the combo will perform better thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

with no info on the carb, it is kind of hard to say if it would be sufficient?

also, how old is the carb, do you know if it's in good working order? sometimes it's just best to go all new when you're not too educated on what you are doing. it just saves you stress and money in the long run. maybe down the road when you get some more experience under your belt, you can start messing around with stuff like that

good luck with whatever route you choose