Need advice on Intake carb setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Default Need advice on Intake carb setup

I bought a 68 Camaro with 81,000 original miles. It has the 327, 2 barrel carb setup.

The car runs and drives, but the carb on it needs rebuilt as it just won't idle right. It is an all stock motor, with nothing changed, except someone put headers on it.

Since the carb needs rebuilt, would you guys just go ahead and switch to a edelbrock intake, carb setup? Or would you still with the stock 2 barrel and just rebuild it?

The car is a numbers matching car, and I honestly do not care about performace, or a fast car. I drive like a grandpa and never run them.

In fact I got the original cast exhaust manifolds off the motor, and even thought about taking the headers off and putting it back stock. But it has a flowmaster exhaust and thought stock manifolds might not go well with stock manifolds.

But since it already has headers, would you guys suggest doing the 4 barrel intake/carb swap? I don't care about performance, but would it have better driveability? I mostly want a weekend cruiser to drive around and be a grocery getter.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Me personally, I would leave the headers on it and the rest of your exhaust on it. Depending on what set up your exhaust is and if it has long or short headers on it you might end up having to replace the whole, or a lot of fabrication to make the aftermarket exhaust work with manifolds. I just spent the day today stripping my old exhaust and installing headers and everything. Your carb problem, on the other hand, again, from a personal standpoint, I would just swap over to a new edelbrock set up. I have twin 4 barrels on mine with tunnel ram. You may not drive fast, or get on it hard all the time, but there is nothing wrong with a little extra under the hood

Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

I didn't see which transmission you have but the rule of thumb is vacuum secondaries for an automatic and mechanical secondaries for a manual transmission.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

In your case, I would leave the intake and headers alone and just rebuild the original 2-bbl carb.

If and when you ever sell it, the car would be worth more with the original parts.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM

It does have full tube headers, and a powerglide automatic.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well what did you decide.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
Well what did you decide.
I'm not sure yet, but probably more leaning towards rebuilding the 2 barrel.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

Are you going to rebuild or buy a re- manufacture one?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Be sure to save any original parts that you remove.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:58 AM

What size main fuel jet does a 69 z28 dz carb have? It is for a 302 engine. List #4053. The carb was one that i had picked up from a guy. I rebuilt the carb but seams to be just alittle fat! I'm thinking this carb had 72 primarys and 78 secondarys!

Quick Reply: Need advice on Intake carb setup