Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

home made exhaust cut outs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default home made exhaust cut outs

I'm bored and I thought maybe this topic would be interesting for everyone. Several months ago I was redoing the exhaust system on my 72 c/10 (yes I know it's not a camaro but the principal remains the same) and I decided I really really wanted to put in some cut outs. I ran into a few problems however, as many of you would/will if you want cut outs, and they are for one, electric cut outs don't last more than a couple months before the motors go bad (because of vibration and heat) so they must be ruled out of any serious persons consideration. Second problem is mechanical or lever type cut outs only come in one size 2" diameter (kinda small) and the third type is no fun cuz you have to unscrew wing nuts to open them, you can't do it on a whim. The solution, home made cut outs, and anyone with access to a welder and basic cutting tools can do it! the first thing to do is find yourself 2 equal size throttle bodies (mine were 3in diameter both from v8 fords from the junk yard) you all are probably thinking this is crazy at this point but sure enough my cut outs work. next step is to make a y pipe from your header, exhaust system going one way short pipe with a sudden stop going the other way. Next step is to use a sleeve type exhaust clamp to clamp the throttle body to the end of the pipe, you may have to use some JB weld to make it seal perfectly but don't underestimate JB weld, it looks messy but I promise you it holds up, so does the aluminum throttle body btw, remember your pistons are made of aluminum ;-). Next step is to block of the idle air circuit with either a bolt or a plate of some sort. Last thing to do is get yourself a nice HD choke cable and run it to one of the throttle bodies. (now you can have fun and test it out and see how it sounds with one header open lol) Then what you need to to is get a small cable and connect it to the other throttle body, run it through a pulley back around and connect it to the choke cable, (try to adjust it just right before you clamp it on there, otherwise only one will open not the other) I wish I could describe with greater detail, but it's really up to the guy doing it how exactly to make them open up, it's tricky. I will post some picks of mine (pretty messy looking but they work great, and have worked for months) the only reason i don't post 'em up right now is cuz my last computer had all the pictures on it and if broke :-\. I hope some of you may see this and consider it, hopefully you can do a better job than I did. If anyone else has done this or anything like this, please let us know what you did different/better.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Name:  0628091453a.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  45.4 KB