General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What to check / change in service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Default What to check / change in service?

Hi,
Just got my 1998 V6 and am going to service it at the weekend, as I have no idea when it was last done properly, and what quality oils were used.

I am planning to replace all fluids as well as filters plugs & leads. I will also check suspension bushings etc

I am fortunate enough to have an inspection pit in my garage making access easier.

Whilst I am under the car, is there anything specific to the 1998 that I should look out for?

Thanks

Tony

Old 11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have it pretty much covered. I would check for leaks on the shocks and also if the rear main is leaking.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with osduck that you've got it pretty well covered. If you haven't already gotten one, I'd recommend picking up the Haynes manual from your local AutoZone or parts store. It's got all the recommendations for what to do at each interval, as well as details on how to do them and what tools you'll need and what type of fluids to use, etc. It even has torque ratings for all the bolts.

Anyway, not trying to make a sales pitch; just recommending a book that's helped me out a TON.

One of the things it also mentions for people who buy a used car is to perform a compression check. There's a lot that can be learned about the engine's state from this check, and you can gain a better understanding of what kinds of maintenance you'll need to do.

Just FYI, those plugs are crazy hard to reach. I recommend the Platinum Tipped ones because they last longer. Anything to prevent you from having to reach those things as often will make you a much happier person.