General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

turn signal and fuse issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Default turn signal and fuse issues

Ok, here it goes, I have two issues with my 82 camaro. First of all, the fuse to the radio keeps on blowing. This just started today and I'm really not sure what is causeing it. Everytime I try to replace the fuse it sparks like crazy and blows (thats if it doesn't melt the tips to the fuse first). I tried disconnecting the radio and trying it and it still blows everytime. It does this with the car on or off, it doesn't matter which.

My second issue is kinda of an annoyance. My turnsignal keeps on sticking. I'll hit the signal and the light will begin to blink, but the light will also stick in the on position, it does this on the inside of the car and the outside. It mainly occurs when I come to a stop, and sometimes, when I rev the engine it will blink again, but it never blinks in a normal pattern. Can anyone help. I know what I wrote really doesn't seem to make any sense, but I'm trying my best.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Default RE: turn signal and fuse issues

Forgot to mention that its an aftermarket cd player, install professionally about 2 months ago.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

First of all, I would go back to the place where that radio was installed. It sounds like it is wired on the red (constant power) wire where the short is. The yellow is the memory wire, black is the ground, blue is either the power antenna or remote amp turn on, and the double colored (solid and a striped wire) are your speaker wires.

As far as your blinkers, there is a flasher on the fuse block has gone faulty. There are about $4 at the parts store. It looks like a cylinder it will stick out.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:17 AM

Thanks alot for the help, I'll get that done soon.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

No problem man, that's what this forum is here for. Hopefully that fixes your problems.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Like Shnormo said. Take it back to the sterio shop and dont let them give you crap. Some of those guys boast about soldering wires. They never brag about burning into other wires though.
If the flasher does not change things you might want to check all the bulbs and socket. Or, like in my 84 it had one of the wires break on the multi function switch and it would touch once in a while and things worked fine then not.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:32 AM

I think its what you said with a loose wire. I brought it back to the installation shop and they disconneted the stereo, installed a fuse, re-connected the stereo, and it worked no problem. I drove it twice, and then it blew again, sometime between my second and third time (in other words, it worked when I turned off the car, and didn't work when I turned it back on). I guess I gotta do some wire chasing.