Turn Signal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Default Turn Signal Issues

I just recently got my 98 Camaro and there's a problem. The turn signals are not working correctly and it's hard for me to pinpoint the cause. Here's how they are doing.

-The front left bulb is never on whether it's supposed to be flashing or not.
And this bulb has been changed.
-The front right bulb stays lit when the car is running, but goes out and doesn't flash when I
activate the turn signal. This bulb was also changed.
-The rear left bulb does not flash and has not been changed.
-The rear right bulb flashes completely fine and has not been changed.

On the inside, when I activate the left turn signal, the green arrow does not flash but stays on and is dim. When I activate the right signal, it flashes fine.
Also the speed of the right flasher is going normal speed.
When I turn on my hazards, both green arrows flash fine but only the rear right bulb flashes.

It may not be possible for anyone to pinpoint the cause for me but it's worth a try. And if not, what is some possible things I could try?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first get your volt meter out and see if the power and ground is getting to the light bulb sockets. if not follow the wires till you get to a connector and test there. it does sound like a wiring issue or a ground issue. is the radio acting up or any other strange things goin on.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM

The radio works fine. I now have all except the front left working. The back left just needed its socket cleaned, and the front right needed a new socket. I replaced the socket and the bulb for the front left and the bulb comes on when it gets constant power. But when I turn on the blinker, the voltmeter isn't showing any power. I know it's supposed to go 12-0-12-0 etc. Could it be a bad flasher? Or would that cause all the blinkers to mess up?

Edit: Oh and ever since I cleaned the rear left socket, the arrows on the inside work fine.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM

The problem you are having is poor connection at the socket, I would get a small flat head screwdriver and scrap the terminals in the light socket on the side you having problems, flasher may not be the problem but its a cheap part to change.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM

I would try replacing all 4 turn signal bulbs. While your replacing them check the connections and make sure the bulbs are correct for the car.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 PM

Do you guys think there could be a possible short? I've found out that the wire that supplies constant power while running is also the same wire that will do the 12-0-12-0-12-0 deal when the blinker is on. But then again if it was a short, you would think it would lose the constant power as well. Idk hopefully with a bit more tinkering ill have this issue down.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Victor Lamb
Do you guys think there could be a possible short? I've found out that the wire that supplies constant power while running is also the same wire that will do the 12-0-12-0-12-0 deal when the blinker is on. But then again if it was a short, you would think it would lose the constant power as well. Idk hopefully with a bit more tinkering ill have this issue down.
short probably not poor connection at the bulb, if you are getting voltage at the socket its normal because its getting feedback from the turn signal relay.