General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RS Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Default RS Headlights

Believe it or not, I am having trouble with the RS headlight doors on my '68 RS can not get them to close with out assistance. I do not want to convert them to electric, I want to keep this as stock as possible. Does anyone know what the most common problems are? I do not want to replace all of the parts if it is only Actuator or something small. I am going to replace allof the vacuum hoses.
Also, I would like to know if anyone has a preference as to suppliers? I know there are a lot of rip off companies out there and I have worked way to hard for my money to give it away.
Any help would be appreciated.
ldwood@citlink.net

Old 11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've had my fair share of headlight fixes on the C3 Vettes (fun), and they work off the same principle as your setup. First thing to do is to run a direct vacuum line to the vacuum canister at the headlights (test one end of the can at a time) and see if the doors open and close as they should. A multitude of leaky, or loose fitting vacuum hoses in the circuit can reduce the total amount of vacuum by the time it makes it to the headlight doors. If the direct connection makes them work, start checking all your vacuum hoses, and even cut a little bit of the hose ends off to give them a tight fit again. If the doors are still sluggish, then the problem is at the canister. On the can, there is a collapsible rubber boot ($6.95 part at Classic Industries) that seals between the pushrod and the body of the canister. From age and wear, those boots can get dry, cracked, and split open. If the boot is cracked open, you will lose vacuum and that will make the doors either sluggish or non-operational. Or, the problem could also be the diaphragm inside the canister itself, which would mean replacing the whole thing. Also check to make sure you don't have any physical drag or resistance which could hinder the doors performance.