General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rotors and studs on a 94 Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Default Rotors and studs on a 94 Z

to be brief.. a buddy of mine was doing a brake job on my Z. Front end looks good but when he got to the back is where he ran into a few issues. Im not the original owner of this car, i really dont know what the previous owner had done to it. that being said my buddy thinks the rear half of the car was replaced at somepoint. When he was doing the rear half of the job, the rotors were loose. Caliper was tight. There was a slanted wear on the the right side break pads. Left side seemed like the wear was pretty even. What really threw up a flag was when he went to put on the new rotors was the amount of space between the holes on the rotors and the studs on the car. Ive got a picutre and a short video to help explain what i mean.

Picture, close up of stud going through old rotor - http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2690/img0241h.jpg

All the studs allowed for this much room allowing for some rotation. Also the rotor before removing the caliper was able to move from its right to left and didnt seem "tight" . I have a video of this as well.
http://img190.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Mmvi0239

I posted this on a different forum and what i have gotten back in return that this is normal. Im not much of a car guy, i can drive em' but not tooooo much else. So i guess im wondering if A) this truely is "normal" and that the wheel is supposed to or B) i need some new studs and something isnt right. so i guess im lookin for a second opinion.

thanks for any help guys

Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Those holes do look a bit bigger than I would expect, and have had. Are they smaller on the new rotors? You don't need new studs, the threads don't look mashed at all. And as far as it being "normal", maybe it was for how those rotors came. But, I wouldn't have worried about the loose fit on the studs anyway. Once the wheels are bolted on, they ain't going noplace!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Hey man thats a sweet ride you got in your avatar, always been a fan of late 60's work.

Went to the autozone and got brand new rotors. Same exact size as the ones we just took off.. so yeah. unless anyone else has pictures of their 94 Z's studs that i could compare it too, im not really sure where to go with this one. The video is my best bet right now to see what others gotta say.

What also threw up a little flag was that when i would drive the car (before the change i havent driven it since, due to a broken control arm : / ) the car would sway a bit in the back end. Im not really sure how to explain it, thought it was the sway bar at first. And when the car was parked and i put my hands on the body and shook it from the outside, it seemed a little "too easy" to move the car?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Take one lug nut off a rear wheel and wind it onto a front stud. That will tell you whether or not the stud thread diameter size on the backs are correct. Fronts and backs are the same size.