wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default wheel studs

ive got a 79 camaro. i bought a set of new rear wheels for it but my stock wheel studs are not long enough. i bought a set of new studs from jegs that were saposed to fit, they are the correct knurl size but they dont even go in half way. ive stripped out about 5 nuts now trying to pull them through. am i stupid for doing this? thanks for the help!!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by thatcamaro
ive got a 79 camaro. i bought a set of new rear wheels for it but my stock wheel studs are not long enough. i bought a set of new studs from jegs that were saposed to fit, they are the correct knurl size but they dont even go in half way. ive stripped out about 5 nuts now trying to pull them through. am i stupid for doing this? thanks for the help!!
No you're not stupid. The new studs are very tight fit, and often need a lot of help to install. Sometimes extreme measures need to be taken, but usually it's just some assistance to help pull them in.
Here's my method for installing them that works most of the time. I push the stud in from the back side; then I put some grease or heavy oil on the threads and also on a washer that will be against the hub or face of the axle. Then I put a good nut on the stud with the flat side towards the washer and grease on the flat side of the nut. Now turn the nut down and when it's snug tighten it until the stud pulls in. Don't reuse that nut for the next stud, as eventually you'll strip it out and it will be wasted. One use wont hurt it, but too many will.
In the event the studs are so large that they wont pull in with this procedure, then I have resorted to drilling out the hole a size or two larger. It's pretty easy, and wont hurt a thing if you're careful to make sure the hole isn't lined up with anything behind that it will hit and damage when the bit goes through. A little enlarging will always allow them to seat, but too big and you're in trouble.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks. i just didn't wanna hurt the hub or be waisting my time if i was doing it wrong.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I stripped some nuts out in the beginning too. The washers with grease make a big difference.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM

did you put them larger wheel studs in without taking the rear axles out of the rear end?

i need longer studs aswell

Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Jake Allen
did you put them larger wheel studs in without taking the rear axles out of the rear end?

i need longer studs aswell
Yes, I have put 3" studs in rear axles without pulling the axle, or the brakes. The 3" will require the stud hole to be in just the right spot to fit in place, but they will go. A 2.5"-2.75" stud is a snap to get in, and easily clears the backing plate.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I missed this thread the first time, but I would recommend to you the same thing I would have told the original poster. Generally, using different wheels shouldn't require longer studs. So make sure you are using the correct lug nuts for your wheels. Some aluminum wheels have a thick hub and use long shanked nuts that protrude into the holes of the wheel to catch the studs. If you have those types of wheels, do not use a standard taper style lug nut, even with longer studs. I wouldn't be surprised if using the wrong nuts was the issue the O.P. was having.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

One other thing to consider if you're planning on racing NHRA events. The studs are required to extend past the surface of the wheel and through the lug nut. If it's strictly street, then a longer shank on the lugnut is a very reasonable, and easy fix.