General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:00 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Roll Cage

What is the best way to weld the camaro to the chassis? Would you use outriggers or just put it against the rockers. I want to put a 10 pt roll cage and i want the front cross bar to be under the dash. I don't know how to extend the halo and how or where to cut the dash to accomadate for this. Any opinnions would be appreciated. Also what is the amprage for the welder that would be necessary for this? I have a tig welder 140amp.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Roll Cage

I would suggest checking with the sanctioning body where you are going to race. IHRA and NHRA have rules about rollbars, and et. Check on the unibody rules because I believe you need to plate some mount areas. I think there are amp requirements and flux core mig is not accepted. If you are really fast the welds must be done by a certified welder..

Old 10-14-2006, 12:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well thanks for stating the obvious lol. It's more of just a personal joy ride car. Yes plates are required but outriggers are optional. With the horsepower I'm producing and the set up I have, I'm not "allowed" on the drag strip. I don't have an SFI scatter shield and if I go through the traps and run 10 seconds or better, I'm going to have issues with the insurance company, so it's best if I just do it for my own personal satisfaction. There are amp requirements, but they're different for the type of welder. I don't have a flux core MIG so it doesn't matter. I've been welding for a long time, including custom trailer hitches and it held a car trailer with a Porsche on it from Texas to MI. So I don't think that is too much of a problem.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

SHNORMO
Why do You ask a question if You already seem to know everything ? Griff was giving You a decent answer and Your reply was LOL ! Bad Forum Manners when You answer like that. Let's be nice. We all don't have Your knowledge about welding, etc.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

No big deal I just assumed it was for the strip I just put an 8 point in mine and read through the rules so I didnt have a problem later on.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

I appologise, I was just looking for more ideas.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

Did you use Outriggers on yours or did you just weld it to the rocker pannel? I had put expandable foam in the rocker panels to help stiffen the chassis. I was wondering if there would be an advantage to using outriggers AND welding it to the rocker pannel?

Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

You are kidding about the expandable foam ...right??? I formed steel plates that welded the main hoop to the inside rocker area, Then from the main hoop I welded braces directly to the sub frame connectors. The front connection is done with plates that go ontop and below the floor these are not welded to the floor but bolted. In the trunk the plates are bolted to the rear subframe and welded to the floor(the floor was redone with a liittle thicker metal plate that allowed a decent weld without blowing through), gussets were also welded in at most of the pipe intersection points. The only thing I would have done differently is putting in a swing out bar for entry into the car.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nope. HS Physics :-D we tested how much strength it adds. Take a 1" PCV pipe and you can bend it and brake it realively easy. Fill it with expandable foam and it's strength is improved greatly. It went from 85 ft/lbs breakage to 290ft/lbs

Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

You are going to be welding the cage to the rocker panel filled with foam I would be careful not to light the thing up. Are you using subfame connecters?

Quick Reply: Roll Cage