General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replaced my intake manifold but having problems.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Replaced my intake manifold but having problems.!!!

I blew my intake manifold seals a couple of days ago when it over heated. I had to get it towed because didnt want to run it longer and keep ruining what it hasnt ruined already. I took the intake off and replaced the gasket which was clearly blown. I put everything back together and it seems like the timing was off. My idle idles at 950 now which i believe needs to be at but was still kinda slugish. Ones it warms up it starts acting retarded and starts to suck in alot of air and then almost dies. after alittle while it dies then doesnt turn on at all. My plugs are new, cap and roter are new, fuel pump is new, fuel filter is new. intake gasket new, oil pan gasket, tps and iac valve is new. I dont know what else to think other then that the timing must be really out of wack. we set the timing to 0 on the pulley then pointed the big end of the distributer in between 1 and 8 in which it was really pointed to 8 more then 1. Need some serious advice here.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Replaced my intake manifold but having problems.!!!

If you think the dizzy is not pointing where it was before put it back there. If it ran fine before you need to go over everything you did. What year do you have? Can you check timimg with a light?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well we had to set the pulley marker to 0 and then line up the dizzy between 1 and 8. the timing seems fine when it ran cold but when it warmed up it really sucked *** and started acting retarded on me. it started to suck in alot of air and making the slugish sound like it wanted to shut off until it finally shut off and didnt want to turn back on. now it seems like the starter aint getting enough juice for some reason so we gonna take it off and put it back on and see what that does. the engine isnt ceased beacause we can still move the pulley around.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Droid

Setting the timing by eye isnot a good way to get it right. You need to look at it with a timing light. I doubt the timing is changing when the engine gets hot, unless you forgot to tighten the distributor clamp, in which case it is going to be all over the place. Seems to me you have some other issues.