General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

rear brake squeel

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Default rear brake squeel

hey guys, i have a 93 z28, when i bought it the previous owner said he had just had the brakes done and it has drilled/slotted rotors and "high performance" pads. well there is a squeeling noise coming from the drivers side rear tire at slow speeds, i cant hear it at highway or cruising speeds only when in a parking lot or in my neighborhood. it sounds like the brake pads to me, but they look pretty good. is it possible that he glazed them right off the bat? its only that corner that is making the noise. i have checked the slides and regreased everything. just trying to get some more opinions before i throw new pads at it.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if its doing it when you dont have the brake on its most likely the slides or the caliper and since you checked the slides...

Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd say you're getting harmonics from the pads slightly moving back and forth, especially if you can hear the noise stop when you step on the brakes. Whoever did the brake job should have coated the back sides of the pads with that blue goo that usually comes with the pads (good brand pads anyway). The coating will insulate the pads from the front of the caliper and the pistons. Without it, you're metal on metal, and getting some squeaks shouldn't come as much of a surprise. You can pick up some "Disc Brake Quiet" at the parts store and goop up the pads yourself. But you will need to remove the pads to do it.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM

it sounds like a rotating squeel, like the pads are slightly touching the rotor and causing a noise. i took the pads off and scuffed them with some 300 grit sandpaper and the noise got quieter, so i think im gonna try pads and see what that does. if that doesnt fix it ill try a caliper i guess

Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by red93z
it sounds like a rotating squeel, like the pads are slightly touching the rotor and causing a noise. i took the pads off and scuffed them with some 300 grit sandpaper and the noise got quieter, so i think im gonna try pads and see what that does. if that doesnt fix it ill try a caliper i guess
Did you not read anything I said? If you're getting a rhythmic squeak-squeak-squeak, coat the backs of the pads with Disc Brake Quiet.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 AM

Yes I did read what you said. You said if I was getting harmonics, to grease the backs of the pads. What I'm hearing is pad on rotors sound, not vibrating(harmonics) sound. And I already regreased the pads myself. Noise was still the same. Then I lightly stuffed the pad material and the noise was quieter, hence why I said I'm gonna try new pads which! I will grease when I install. thanks for the advice though I did try what you said. Just didn't fix my problem.

Edit: my first post stated that I already regreased everything. Including the backs of the pads and where the pad meets the caliper bracket.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, but everybody has a different idea of what "everything" includes, the backs can get overlooked. And don't use "grease", it'll eventually wash off in the rain.
The stuff made for brake pads is a gooey coating that sets up, sticks, and stays.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by red93z
this leads me to believe its the caliper even more like its not sucking back in enough

looks like a rear caliper for these is around 65$ too bad it wasnt the front at only 30$

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 07-19-2011 at 09:10 AM.