General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Over Filling Oil and Oil Consumption Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Default Over Filling Oil and Oil Consumption Problem

I just resonantly finished a BBC Engine which includes a 6 Quart Morosso Side Kick Oil Pan which I Modified by Lowering the Front area of the Pan to allow clearance for a Milidon Diamond Stripper Full Lenght windage tray.

It is well know that you should not overfill your Oil pan for obvious reasons... Crank strikes oil Frauthing oil consumption ... etc.

Because this was a new set up I had to determine if the DipStick measurement was accurate. I put 5 quarts in the 6 quart pan which measured approx 1" below the the add mark so I cut 1" off the top of the Dipstick tube to achieve an accurate measurement at the ADD 1 Quart markings with 5 quarts in the pan. In order to deter Windage problems many recommend that you should not fill the Pan to the 6 quart capacity and only run 5 quarts. But me as usual wanting to confirm that the FULL Capacity Mark read accurately on the dipstick added another quart which did read Full on the DipStick.

AnyWay; to make a long senero short,I believed that since this is a 6 quart Pan it would be OK to leave the the 6 quarts in and did not bother to drain out oil to leave 5 quarts in the Pan.

The next day I had to make a 130 mile Drive and thought it would be great to break in the new engine. I did not over work the engine and kept to the speed limit reving the BBC at approx 2500 with 3.08:1 grears for 2 hours - with occational variations.

When I arrived at my destination I check the Oil. To my concern, I was down 1 Quart for the 130 Miles drive and the Passenger Header Collector was a mess with OIL leaking from the Flanges. JUST GREAT.

OK what caused this? It's certainly not Blow-By. My senereo is that the Crank Wipped the Oil and since it turns ClockWise threw the oil on the Left (Passenger) Cylinder Bank where the Oil rings would be over taxed thus causing Excessive oil consumption and Wet the Header Collector. Then I think, would not the Diamond Stripper take care of this?

One other thing - The Engine presently does not have a PCV Valve because I presently do not have a Vacuum source in the Carb base or Plenum but does have Large K&N Oil Breathers on each Valve cover.

I do intend to add a proper PCV System but thought that the large Breathers would be sufficient and not cause the high oil consumption I experienced for 130 miles of low rev driving.

IF anyone has experience with this problem I would appreciate your comments and recommendations.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Over Filling Oil and Oil Consumption Problem

you installed the rings yourself? Sick

Old 09-23-2006, 02:03 PM

OK your thinking Possible rings not seated - which may be probable. I had to tare the engine down previously after approx 30 mins running after fresh bore and pistons account #7 ended up with a 1/8th square" piece of metal from the end of a lock washer sitting in the quench area - dimpling the top of the piston but no damage elsewhere. Bad luck fortunately not severe.

I re-assembled the engine with a new piston but did not hone as there seemed to be plenty of cross hatch left on the cylinder walls. You mabe right that the rngs have not re-seated in which case the cylinders would have to be re-honed.

I will attempt to run the engine run alittle longer and see what happens - perhaps they have seated after using that quart of oil.

If the oil consumption continues, I will have no other choice but to hone and perhaps put in another set of rings.

I'm a Class "A" mechanic and have installed rings many times but may have missed the neccessity to re-hone the cylinders after the brief run time.

THANKS for your Comment

Old 09-23-2006, 06:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

well since your a mechanic i want rag you on how much attention needs to be payed to installing oil rings lol. sometimes as you know they can be quite awnery. Sick

Old 09-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Sick: I know what you mean about rings but I'm confident they went in properly on this one.

There does not seem to be evidence of Blow-By other then Oil consumption and the wet collector on the psgr side.

I've been getting some input from the Chevelle Guys aswell. One member suggested that the oil pan desigin may have something to do with it as I did Lower the floor of the pan in the front area to accomadate the Full Length Diamond Stipper.

I'm thinking it may be a combination of factors such as:

#1 The K&N filter may not have been sufficient for Crankcase Ventalation and I should run a PCV in which case I will have to drill and tap into the Edelbrock plenem as I do not have a vacuum source in the 80511 830 Holley Carb in order to creat a descent Cankcase Vacuum.

#2 Possibibility that Some rings haven't Seated yet or may have seated during the 130 run and the Oil consumption has stopped.

#3 Oil Pan Structure.

#4 Possible Intake Gasket Leak to Cylinders on Psgr Side - I'm getting a 10 PSI reading on #7 Runner Power Brake line as this is the only Vacuun source I have account no other available sources. Cam is Mechanical Roller .623/244 for Int & Ext 110 with C/L @ 104 Degrees; but Intake sure seemed to fit well when installing.

I believe I will clean up the oil mess around the Psgr collector and ensure that there is only 5 quarts in the pan which includes the filter and hopefully if it was the rings or an overfill that the rings have seated during the 130 mile run and the problem is re-solved other then I should attend to installing a proper PCV System

Unfortunately I've got too many other things to attend to right now and probably will not have a chance to look into this matter much before the end of October.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions and if you think of something else let me know.

Once I get the chance I wil post my results.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Ok Here's my Plan of Attack:

The Vacuun reading of 10PSI was steady but this was on #7 port runner for Power Brakes. I believe 10PSI is adiquit vacuum for the cam I running. The vacuum mabe somewhat higher in the plenen just under the throttle body but; as I say, I don't presently have access to that area.

If the leak is under the the Intake and into the Lifter Gallery I do not believe the Carb Cleaner or Propane test would be effective.

When I get a chance, I'm going to pull the plugs on the Psgr side to determine just which plugs appear Oil fouled. I did note that the oil wetness was very previlant on #4 and #8 exhaust header pipes where they converge into the collector.

Why just 2 Clylinders - sure signifies my suspicion that there is an intake vacuum leak from the oil gallery area for these 2 cylinders but then on the other hand the none flucuating 10 psi seems to condradict this but then #7 is on the other side of the dual plan and may not pick up the flucuating vacuum occuring in the other plan.

I would very much like to get my hands on the problem right away but other circumstances are preventing me.

Ist I will clean up the area around the Collector and ensure that I only have 5 quarts in the pan, start her up and blip the throttle. - if I notice black exhast from the Psgr tail pipe when I close the throttle, thus increasing the vacuum, I mabe right . If the rings arn't seating, I would suspect that the exhaust smoke would be prevalant for both open and closed throttle.

Thanks for you Input and I will let you know what the verdict is once I get a chance to thoroughly test the engine.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:22 PM

Looks like I found the ANSWER:

I've been in contact with a member from the Chevelle Forums and he said that he had the excact same problem with oil consumption and oil leaking from the LEFT HEADER COLLECTOR.

Installing a PCV Valve corrected the problem ))

Thank you all for your interest and input regarding this matter.