General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission mounting bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Default transmission mounting bar

hello
I have a 1982 Camaro z28, i took out the 350 that was in it and am putting a '87 305 thats rebuilt in.

mesuring by eye wasnt enough because the transmission is longer and the pan is sitting on the mounting bar...

so i'm looking for a bar that will work but i've looked a bit and havent found anything...
could anyone help me out with this? is there a premade product that deals with this issue or will i need to have it custom made?

thanks in advance

Old 09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: transmission mounting bar

so your putting a 700r-4 tranny in where there used to be a th350? if this is the case you will have to get the crossmember for the 700r-4. any third gen 305 crossmember should work fine. if this isn't the case please explain more. your post is kinda confusing. Sick

Old 09-25-2006, 07:07 PM

My apologies for the confusing post. I have trouble explaining things alot of the time.

I have worked on motorcycles in the past and im a fast learner, this Camaro is my first car and car parts are new to me, my dad bought it and then found a rebuilt engine and transmission and he said "put it together and shes yours"

I don't know the model numbers for the transmissions. so i took a picture to show you what im looking at.

I need to take it off the crossmember(?) to get the engine on its mounts and possibly take a hammer to the floor board and make a little space aswell ...

Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Overdrive Member

If memory serves me the 700 x member angles back a little. And you get rid of that rubber mount on there now and use a regular type of mount that has one bolt to the x member.
Also the 700 will have a square four wire connector for the Torque Converter Clutch. It is controled by the computer. If you car does not have that then you can look at www.summitracing.com to find a unit to make the tcc operate without the use of a computer. I think B&M makes one that starts around $70. I would look under my car at it but it is to low for me right now.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 PM

pretty sure it has the 4 prong connector, so i guess thats it. Thanks for figuring that part out and what i would need.

now to find the cross bar.. i have no idea what im looking for and ive been searching for some hours...

btw Nice car!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok if i'm looking at it correctly i would just slide the crossmember back. drill some new holes in frame and crossmember then bolt it down. you may have to drill or cut a notch so you can put a nut inside the frame to screw the bolt into. luckily the frame is pretty soft. it can be cut easily with a recipricating saw or drill. only cut the hole as big as you need it. i have cut hunks out of mine it will be fine. i see some existing frame holes that may work. does the tranny have overdrive? you can tell by moving the shift lever if it has 5 positions its probably a 350 tranny if it has 6 it is most likely a 4L60/700r4 which is an overdrive with a lockup converter or just look for the electrical connection on top of the pan. if it is the 700 mike is right your gonna have to resolve the lockup converter issue. you can get a kit for about a hundred bucks that will lockup the converter using a pressure switch or you can hot wire the solenoid by running a hotwire to the "a" terminal on the connector and then wiring the "c" and "d" terminal together. in theory this will lockup the converter in third gear. the reasaon i say theory is i was told this by a tranny man but have never actually done it. i run my 700 with the lockup disconnected which causes it to only shift a high rpm loads which is perfect for drag racing. hope this helps. Sick

Old 09-26-2006, 03:13 AM
Overdrive Member

UH oh my post is missing or I posted in the wrong thread or I am going goofy.....
I had gone out earlier and reached under my car with a camera and snapped until I got a pic and the x member is not back, its straight. But your looks as if you can flip it around and use two existing holes and make two new ones and fish bolts through the holes further back.
Now to go find where I lost my other post at.[&:]

Old 09-26-2006, 10:06 AM

Yes it does has 4th gear(overdrive), I forgot to mention that, spose it woulda helped a bit.. lol

I will get under her later today possibly and take off that bar to get a better picture of what you guys are saying i could do.

are you guys saying i wont be able to use the torqe converter? not that i know what it does..... dad said something like, it lets you rev up real high when your at a stand still so you can burn out... but maybe it has other functions aswell, is there more options besides just locking it? like say get a computer?...lol...

which one of these kits should i get
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 09-26-2006, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

the cheap one is fine. you don't want to go to the trouble of rigging up a computer unless the body already has a working unit. it is located in the passenger side floorboard area behind the side kick plate. you can replace the torque converter but, it will be cheaper and less trouble to use the kit. the lockup is for gas mileage. with it totally disconnected the tranny will only shift under high rpm loads ... very unsuitable for daily driving. the kits are fairly simple to install. you can easily adapt the existing crossmember to work. Sick

Old 09-26-2006, 01:59 PM

Thank you 2 very much for your input, i did forget to mention that i got a new torqe converter with the engine and transmission.. well my dad did anyways, like i know what im shopping for... lol

Quick Reply: transmission mounting bar