General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Default No Fuel.

Hello everyone, I have a 1991 camaro and need some help. It wont start, it was sitting for a couple years though. Anyway it has something to do with the fuel.

First we went to drain the gas to put fresh in with techron. When we took off the fuel filter, it trickled down at a slow, steady rate. So we drained it. Our problem is now that the engines not getting gas. With starter fluid the car starts right up, but of course stops soon after. I put my ear to the gas tank and when the key is in the "on" position i DO hear the pump for 2 seconds. But the gas is not being pushed to the engine fast enough, its quite slow or sometimes not at all.

My question is what can be the problem? (Please provide a link to what you think it is). Is it possible that the old gas has clogged the sock at the bottom of the tank?

Thanks in advance for your input, its very appreciated.

-Hfourx

Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Fancy Sparkle
Default RE: No Fuel.

kinked fuel line?? does it look like it's leaking anywhere under the car??

Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 PM

It sometimes almost reaches the engine, a small amount came out of the intake line when opened. The return line is dry. It does not look like anythings leaking.

EDIT: Could it be the VATS or the key?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I had the EXACT same problem with my 91 that I bought last year. It had been sitting for two years and had a fuel supply problem. I could hear the pump prime like normal. I also checked everything you said you checked. With the fuel line disconnected before the TBI, the fuel just dribbled out with the key on. I dropped the tank, and the problem was the little rubber hose/connector that attaches the sending unit to the pump. It was all deteoriated, soft and gooey, and was split apart. It was lined up enough to let the gas dribble out, but obviously couldn't supply fuel with any pressure. The pump was still good, but I put a new one in anyway.
And don't let anybody talk you into going at it through the "trunk" area. I started out that way, and even cut an access panel. The lines from the tank are all steel, and because of the two different angles you have to tilt the sending unit to remove it from the tank, there's absolutely no way of weaseling it out without cutting all the lines. Then you would have to flare at least the high-pressure supply line to connect it back together properly. It just ain't worth it. I have pics if you want to see what the project looks like.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Please do provide pics! I plan to start this after the 4th. Thanks so much!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Spot on Camaro 69! Deffinatly a good place to start.
If you do a search you will find a few post on removing the tank. What you have to do and what you don't have to do.