General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Major power LOSS!! I need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Default Major power LOSS!! I need help

Ok, I just had Headers installed on my 1998 3.8 V6 camaro. The car has 90K miles on it with 7K on a rebuild. The car was running AWESOME when I got it back with the headers on it. BUT, yesterday when I went to drive it, it felt like I was driving a 4cyl. It is seriously slower than my cavalier.

I also put a set of 8.5mm Moroso spark plug wires and new GM replacement plugs in (gapped properly and all wired back tothe right cylinder). I also recently installed a K&N filter on top of the SLP CAI that has been there for awhile now. It also has a 2.5" magna flow exhaust. It ran fine for about 2 weeks since any of those modifications. So i dont really think they are an issue.

Here are my idea on what it could be:

I put red wire loom on it about 5 days ago and I removed 4 sensors up near the intake but I put them all back and I have NO "check engine light"........maybe they didnt get a good connection?? should I spary some cleaner on them?

LIKELY problem: A part from the steering is was hitting the header when ever I would turn to the right. Im thinking maybe that would knock the header loose and cause this issue? Would it have an effect like this? if that is the issue, how in the world would I fix "poor header design" and why would this be a problem from a reliable name like "Pacesetter"?

Also the EGR tube was cracked when the headers were installed but I think it is sealed up correctly. but that would cause a "check engine light" right?

Maybe the Check engine light dosent work right. should I spend the time to drive to Autozone and get it checked for codes?

Any help would be greatly appriciated, Tuesday morning will be my only chance to work so please respond quickly.

Jeremy.

fell free to ask for any needed info and I will get it to ya. my email is sweet88z24@yahoo.com

Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Major power LOSS!! I need help

If the car is misfiring, you may want to look at the ignition wires. They have a habit of geting fried when headers are used. If there is no misfire, there is a chance that the cat may be clogged. Get the car scanned & look for both active and retained codes.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Major power LOSS!! I need help

[&:] id check the plug wires real close. even good silicon ones dont like the heat headers produce and ive seen lots get brittle and the spark will start firing to the header through a small pinhole once a carbon track is established. i use glass cleaner and spray around the boots, night times best, and watch for any escaping little sparks kurt