General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical Demons

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Default Electrical Demons

Earlier this year I purchased a 1996 Camaro. The Air Bag and ABS Inop lights are always on when started. The wipers jump for the first few minutes after the car starts. The Security Light came on after our first jump start. The low Trak light recently started flashing. Any ideas where I should start. I would appreciate any direction.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Electrical Demons

Damn, that sucks. It sounds like a VW. You could start with the fuses, relays and sensors or split the loom on the harness and see if any wires are burnt or rubbed the coating to bare wire?. And welcome to the forum, hope it is an easy fix. For the air bag lights, if the bags went off, a mechanic should be able to clear them.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Jump start? Maybe a new pattery and have the alt checked out, its free at some auto parts stores.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
4th Gear Member

dude just sell the car...

Old 07-11-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Check the alt and have it a good look over. If its gonna be trouble....might be time to move on

Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 PM
4th Gear Member

is like all thje electrical messed up?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chucko

Earlier this year I purchased a 1996 Camaro. The Air Bag and ABS Inop lights are always on when started. The wipers jump for the first few minutes after the car starts. The Security Light came on after our first jump start. The low Trak light recently started flashing. Any ideas where I should start. I would appreciate any direction.
Anything is fixable, if you have time, money, and patience.

Start with the electical system as a whole. Have the battery, alternator and starter performance checked. Then go threw all the fuses and make sure they are good. Don't just look at them, check them with a test light. If it costs money it costs money. Once you know you have a stable base to start from you can go after the problems.

ABS, and Trac light will be associated I would guess. Have the system diagnosed if you can't yourself. Could be just a wheel sensor in a hub that is bad, wiring, or the ABS module($$$$, used aren't bad though).

Air Bag, as was mentioned. Was it in a accident? No? Again, a diagnoses is in order. Clock springs...the sensor in the wheel that spins allowing the wiring to the bag, are prone to failure. I've rarely seen a impact sensor fail but it does happen. If it was in a accident things could get ugly, some parts might not have been replaced properly or at all.

Wipers, GM and their notorious crappy modules. If it has a module assembly on the wiper motor shouldn't be much of a job to replace it. If they are giving you trouble, coming on and off at wierd times, smack the module and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the module on the wiper motor is shat. Other issue could be the wiper switch, not to bad of a job.

Security light. Could be the key, could be the ignition switch, could be a issue with the module. I've done some "unique" fixes for people who had ignition switch issues. You can measure the resistance in the key, get some resistors from radio shack, then splice them in after the switch tricking the module into thinking the key is in. Your car doesn't have a security system after that though, anybody with a screw driver can snag it. I'd suggest getting it done right, but if money is a pinch, this is the easy way out if thats the problem.

Considering you have airbag, wiper, and possible security issues, look close at the column and see if anyone has attacked it all ready and messed things up.

HTH.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
4th Gear Member

man, thats gunna take a lot of work though...