General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clunking rear end need sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i didnt want to go back and look to see what the name was and thought thats waht it was. lol sorry no secret slip locker.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 AM

It is the same your talking about he is just using a slang for the power trax lock right.

We call them LA lockers

SO YES you can install the lock right into the rear you have.

If you have a 2 large window carrier then the 1930-lr will work
If you have the clam shell one large window case you will need the 1932-LR

BE SURE you have the correct one as it will destroy itself if you install the wrong unit in the wrong open carrier.

THIS IS IN THE 7.5 10 BOLT ONLY IN THE LATE 1980'S gm DID A 7 5/8 CARRIER FO THE MONTE CARLO AND CAMARO BECAUSE THEY WERE BLOWING UP THE SPIDER GEARS TOO MUCH AND REDESIGNED THE OPEN AND POSI CARRIERS WITH LARGER SPIDER GEARS AND SLIGHTLY SMALLER SIDE GEARS ...THEY TRIED TO EQUAL UP THE SPIDER GEAR SIZE ALL THE WAY AROUND.

Good luck and if you need any tech help PM . Jim

Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by monzaz
It is the same your talking about he is just using a slang for the power trax lock right.

We call them LA lockers

SO YES you can install the lock right into the rear you have.

If you have a 2 large window carrier then the 1930-lr will work
If you have the clam shell one large window case you will need the 1932-LR

BE SURE you have the correct one as it will destroy itself if you install the wrong unit in the wrong open carrier.

THIS IS IN THE 7.5 10 BOLT ONLY IN THE LATE 1980'S gm DID A 7 5/8 CARRIER FO THE MONTE CARLO AND CAMARO BECAUSE THEY WERE BLOWING UP THE SPIDER GEARS TOO MUCH AND REDESIGNED THE OPEN AND POSI CARRIERS WITH LARGER SPIDER GEARS AND SLIGHTLY SMALLER SIDE GEARS ...THEY TRIED TO EQUAL UP THE SPIDER GEAR SIZE ALL THE WAY AROUND.

Good luck and if you need any tech help PM . Jim
Well i bought a new rear end. it was from a 86 camaro with a 3.23 gears and all new bearings.

I want to upgrade it to 3.73's which i would like to take from my current rear as they are in good shape and also update to a posi unit.

im going to guess i have a 7.5 but how do i tell the difference between the 7.5 and 7 5/8 rearend.

any recommendations for a standard posi unit to install in my new rearend. i have almost free help from someone that know how to work on a rearend.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the axles should be 26 spline on a 86 camaro rearend correct. i will double check before i buy anything just trying to get some prices.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Default limited slip vs power trax locker

Originally Posted by endo
what is the differnce between the slip locker and the Lock-Right

A limited slip differential unit is a Clutch or cone friction or torsen posi which is a inertial worm gear unit. All these work buy changing out the complete unit and the coner and clutch friction type use PRELOAD springs to let the axle shaft release in turns and are quiet and smooth
Torsen type work off a inertial side load and provide traction to the wheel that has MORE weight on it if the car/truck has equal load on wheel (going straight the worm gears default to touching both side gears and you have posi in a burn out) Go into a hard turn left and the weight goes to the right wheel andf that is the wheel that gets most of the drive.
POWER TRAX unit works by replacing the 4 spider gears in a open different unit. Most of the time the side thrust washer need to be reused. This unit has teeth that inter lock with the same angle cut. In a turn the small preload springs let the teeth ride over each other one tooth at a time.

The operation is smooth but will have a distinct click noise every time you turn. These units will lock up tight the harder you spin the tires. Alot of weekend warroirs like these because you are still streetable with axle release unlike a mini or full spool.

Pictued is the power trax and you can see the teeth and how they fit and you can see each tooth is flat and that is how they are able to slide across each other and then lock again. WE CALL THESE LA LOCKERS...

Jim
J D

Attached Thumbnails clunking rear end need sugestions-10-bolt-nova-power-trax-3.73-richmond-30-spline-alloy-axles-008.jpg