Rear end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Rear end clunking

So I've been having this ongoing issue where my rear makes clunking noises while driving. It sounds like it comes from the axles on each side, but I jacked up the car and made sure the bearings were good and there was no play. I also just put new kyb agx shocks on the rear so that isn't the issue either. This noise has me stumped. Anyone have a clue as to what it could be?

Thanks,
~Socom

Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Clunking is on acceleration, over bumps or around corners?

Assuming it is over bumps a long pry bar is your friend. You have clearance in one of your bushings. Could be upper control arms, lower control arms or the Panhard bar. It’s a 2 man check with your hand on each above connection pry with a 48”+ bar on the tires. Each of the above parts has 2 places to check both sides. Since your car is higher miles there will be a small amount of play in all the joints. If it is enough play you can hear it while driving the play will be pretty large once you find it.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well granted I have all tubular suspension on my car and granted it is fairly new, there shouldn't be any play (especially being poly) but I will give that a check anyway. Could be quite possible. And it happens really at random times, over bumps and while driving on flat roads, its not a consistent noise.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You have done the upper and lower control tubular? Does the lower arms have the pivot type bushings in them? As you can imagine as the car tilts the lower control arms need to flex, a tubular control are will not flex so it needs so the forward bushings need to have pivots. If not you can damage the frame where the control are connects.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your jack to make sure its secure. make sure the gas tank is not moving around. if the pump was changed not so long ago it may not have been tightened right and shifted. check lug nuts to make sure they are tight.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
You have done the upper and lower control tubular? Does the lower arms have the pivot type bushings in them? As you can imagine as the car tilts the lower control arms need to flex, a tubular control are will not flex so it needs so the forward bushings need to have pivots. If not you can damage the frame where the control are connects.
If you are talking about the a-arms, then yes, they have a pivot bushing. My rear control arms do not though.

Name:  IMG_0874.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  180.6 KB

Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

i had a obnoxious loud clunking noise that happened right when i bought my car, turns out it was some part of the exhaust flopping around.

Get down under there and give it a yank ............. to see if its loose

Old 01-03-2012, 08:13 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Socom
If you are talking about the a-arms, then yes, they have a pivot bushing. My rear control arms do not though.
I am talking rear control arms, Are you rear control arms tubular? You did say the clunk was from the rear, I did kind of assume since you used the word clunk it was something you can feel.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am talking rear control arms, Are you rear control arms tubular? You did say the clunk was from the rear, I did kind of assume since you used the word clunk it was something you can feel.
Its more of a knock/clunk that happens randomly while driving. But yes, my whole suspension is tubular. I also forgot to mention that my driveshaft has new u joints so that isn't the issue.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

You sure its not the transmission mount? I had a clunk that I originally thought was from the rear end that turned out to be the mount.

Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 01-04-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear end clunking