General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Breaking the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Droid
Default Breaking the windshield

This is not peculiar to any car, but you may want to be careful if you live in cold & snowy places. My Chrysler 300M Special (daily driver) has been sitting in the driveway covered with ice and snow for the last several days. This morning I needed to use it, and being a lazy person, I just turned the engine on with the defroster at full blast, figuring it would melt the ice & snow off the windshield. About 1/2 hour later I went into the car to see if progress was being made. The ice was melting so I turned the wipers on to get the slush off the windshield. On the second swing of the wiper, I heard a snap, and saw acrack growing across the windshield. I now have atwo foot crack across the windshield. I am guessing that the defroster got the windshield very hot, and when the wipers pushed the icy slush over the warm spot the glass cracked. I guess, i will scrape the ice off next time, but in the meantime I am shopping for a new windshield.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Breaking the windshield

That sucks. Thanks for sharing this though. Only way to learn is through others mistakes. I either scrape, or use luke warm water to help with the scraping. Here in Texas though, it's a rarity to have to do so.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Overdrive Member

Wow, I've lived in Denver my whole life and sometimes it gets pretty cold here, but I've never seen that happen. If the windsheild already has a chip or small crack in it from the utterly amazing amount of gravel they put on the roads here, when it gets cold I've seen those cracks spread a lot more, but never from the windshield wiper pushing slush over it, that's crazy. I usually turn the car on with the defroster on full blast for around 10 minutes to get the underside of the ice a bit softer and then I scrape/brush the rest off. Too bad to hear that you have to get a new windsheild though[&o]

Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Pete with all the money you saved me from all of you're great advice I feel like I should pay for the window.........would you accept payments?