General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes...Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Default Brakes...Help!!!!!

Hi everyone i have a93 camaro standard 3.4 v6 model and i need help replacing the rotors and pads if youcould send me exactly what the rotor looks like and how to replace them along with the pads and proper ways to bleed them and do it right id appreciate it i know its askinga lot and ive never done brakes before so i figred now would be a good time to learn thank and i hope someone can help!!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Brakes...Help!!!!!

don't need to bleed brakes when changing pads

go to autozone.com put in type of car and they have a repair guide with step by step instructions

Old 02-10-2007, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Brakes...Help!!!!!

Ok do the basics, Jack the car up take the wheel off. There are two bolts that hold the caliper on. Unbolt them, the caliper might need to be "persuaded" slightly to get them off. Don't let the brake hose hold the weight of the caliper. Pop the hood and take the cap off the master cylinder resivoir. Take a C clamp and put the swivel end (the rounded end) in the piston and the flat side on the backside of the caliper. Slowly screw the piston back into the caliper and make sure the brake fluid doesn't overflow since it can damage the paint. Set the caliper on a spare jackstand or use some coat wire to hang it from the suspension (again don't let the hose hold it up as it can lead to leaks). Then there are two more bolts that hold the mounting bracke into place. There is threadlock on those bolts so it will be harder to take off.Use a cheater bar and make sure you go in the right direction (COUNTERCLOCKWISE) and then there may or may not be the factory lock washers on the studs. You can just get rid of them since they are only to hold the rotor in place on the assembly line. You can take them off by either spinning them with a screwdriver, prying it off then braking it, cutting with dykes etc. Then the rotor should slide off the hub/wheel studs. If not, hammer the rotor inbetween the studs to try to losen it. You could use an large jaw puller to pull the rotor off if it is stubborn. Then the new rotor is coated with anti-corrosion oils so take brake cleaner and wash that stuff off. Slide the new rotor onto the hub and use 1 lug nut to hold it in place while you install the bracket for the caliper. Apply red threadlock to the bolts that hold the mounting bracket in and torque them down pretty good. Install the new pads into the mounting bracket and grease the place that they rest on. Before you bolt the caliper back on, use synthetic brake grease to lubricate the slider soit doesn't sieze.Slide the caliper back into place and then reinstall the two bolts that hold it in place. Put the wheel back on lower the car and pump the brakes to get enough fluid to clamp the brakes.

http://www.r1concepts.com is a good place to buy rotors. Price the stuff at Autozone out and compare. For a minimal difference in price, you can get the drilled and slotted. Why replace with plane jane when you can upgrade. I peronally have them on my S10 and I love them.