General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Betrayed by my Mechanic!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

torque is good... are you insane???
he sqrewed the mechanic for that very little amount of work... i could literally get all of that done 45 - an hour and thats just because it takes 10 min to drain the oil....
if you are all disk then you really really got boned its sooooo easy, the hatch is just a better sized spring i did it in 30 seconds with some pliers at a car show because i couldnt get my chair out of the trunk and i got mad...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

and then go kiss the butt of that mechanic who frankly, you screwed, not the other way around
Sure - I'm a laborer for $12/hour, some days all I do is swing a hammer for 8 hours straight, load scrap metal, or split logs. I think I know what 'hard work' is, actually I love it though. $174 is fair. I also gave him a 4:1 chrome exhaust pipe for a crotchrocket I had around my house as a tip.

Amazing how rude people can be from behind their computer. I wouldn't let anyone talk to me like that face 2 face for sure. And FYI yeah I've already bent it back, still a bit ticked that I pay a man for a service and my camaro gets tampered with(or possibly an accident, but it sure doesn't look like it to me).

Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
torque is good... are you insane???
he sqrewed the mechanic for that very little amount of work... i could literally get all of that done 45 - an hour and thats just because it takes 10 min to drain the oil....
if you are all disk then you really really got boned its sooooo easy, the hatch is just a better sized spring i did it in 30 seconds with some pliers at a car show because i couldnt get my chair out of the trunk and i got mad...

$45 per hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is that a local guy or an insured shop? Seriously, I have not seen $45 per hour since the 80's

It's in the $80's and higher

Maybe it is that cheap in other parts of the country but major population areas, heck no.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:36 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cammy 3.8lV6
Sure - I'm a laborer for $12/hour, some days all I do is swing a hammer for 8 hours straight, load scrap metal, or split logs. I think I know what 'hard work' is, actually I love it though. $174 is fair. I also gave him a 4:1 chrome exhaust pipe for a crotchrocket I had around my house as a tip.

Amazing how rude people can be from behind their computer. I wouldn't let anyone talk to me like that face 2 face for sure. And FYI yeah I've already bent it back, still a bit ticked that I pay a man for a service and my camaro gets tampered with(or possibly an accident, but it sure doesn't look like it to me).
cammy, say what you will

the theme of the entire thread is that you were betrayed by a mechanic. You never ever considered that a lift, or floor jack or anything could have caused it. Did you ever come right out and ask him? Yet I am accused of being rude??? too funny

And at the prevailing labor rates around here, you are damn lucky to find a guy who charged you that little. It might be fair where you are and kudos to you for giving him the tip.

And here is a comment that you may or may not take to heart. At $12 per hour, you should want to hold onto as much of that $$$ as you can. Replacing rotors and pads on these cars is a cakewalk and you could have saved $$

Old 06-12-2010, 04:46 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

whered you get $45 per hour? that list of jobs is easily done in an hours time so he got $172 or w.e per hour

Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
whered you get $45 per hour? that list of jobs is easily done in an hours time so he got $172 or w.e per hour

post # 11 where you said 45-hour

I now gather that to mean that you meant 45 minutes to an hour.

So, you can get the car into a garage, get it on a lift, yank the tires, order parts, pull off the calipers, yank the rotors, replace rotors, remove/replace pads, pack it back up
change the oil, fix a hatch, get the tires back on, drop the car and do all that in under 1 hour??

Don't forget the oil and filter were also included in the price. Most garages don't offer a $19 oil change like Wal mart.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

im well aware of whats involved and id have the parts to do all of it before i tore my car apart that just doesnt make any sense... but yes all parts waiting i could get all of that done in an hour,,,
Pull Car in
start oil drain first: 2 min
wheels off : 5 min
brakes and rotors off: 15 min
brake and rotors back on: 10 min (a lot easier than taking off)
tires back on: 5 min
replace filter: 2 min
Drop car: 1 min
Fill oil: 3-5 min
Repair hatch: 5 min
Total time: About 50 min
SO yeah id say i could do it and i have 10 min to spare =]

Last edited by DarkKnight; 06-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.