General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best Fix-A-Leak Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Best Fix-A-Leak Brand?

Ive got some leaks in my camaro, and i wanted to know if anybody knows which brand works the best or if they work at all. I figured insted of getting new gaskets id give this a shot.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
CIN
Default RE: Best Fix-A-Leak Brand?

what kind of leaks?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] matt pleeeeeeeaaassseee dont do this for cooling systems magic in a can may be great in an emergency situation it does you no favors in the long term. it may fill some voids that are helpful but can also fill the holes you dont want filled. may contribute to electrolasis(sp) and just plain makes a mess of the cooling system. if its oil leaks you speak of anything available is a waste of money this option is truly only a band aid how about we fix the problem instead as you will have to eventually anyway kurt

Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 AM
4th Gear Member

Find the leak and repair it. The bandaid approach dose not work.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well i was looking at the ones that you add to your fluids, but i was wondering if you guys knew what brand works the best. The guys who changed my oil said my front seal and my rear main seal were leaking. If you guys have any specific brand you would recoment let me know.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

In my experiences, none work as advertised and just make a bad situation worse. Like the others have said, fix the problem, don't try to cover it up.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are talking oil leaks. t9ojetpilotis talking coolant leak. Either way you do not want use the additive. Oil additives that "stop" leaks do it by intruducing a chemical that attack the seals and makes then swell. It can work for a short while but in the best conditions it will speed up the major failure of the seal one of two ways. One way is the seals swell too large and completely rips apart causing the engine to pump all your oil out very quickly. Two it swells to the right size and dry rots 6 months later cause it can not handle the chemical long term. If you have minor leaks, let them leak. Wait till you can fix them right. Chances are they will give at few weeks notice before they go completely in the form of big puddles. Put that additive you could be doing a major repair within a month. Another thing, as engines get more and more hours on them the amount of blow by increase. Once it over powers the PVC system it will push out some oil the easiest place it can. what I am saying is if it is a small leak on a car with a lot of miles there may be nothing wrong with the seal.

I have heard the story too many time. I just had a small leak in the rear main so I put in XYZ additive and 2 weeks later the front seal blow out. Funnypart was several of those cars had rope seals for the rearmains and this stuff has no effect on a rope seal LOL.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

None work.

Band aid on a gunshot wound is all they are.