General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Bag Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Default Air Bag Sensor

1996 Camero 3.8. My Air Bag light is always on. I purchased the car as a salvage, but the Air Bags had not deployed. I have been told that there is always an Air Bag sensor in the front of the Camaros. I find no air bag sensor in the front of the radiator anywhere or any wires that are not connected.

Can someone point me to some information that would indicate if there is a sensor and where I can find the missing wires?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Air Bag Sensor

usually the general is pretty good about not changin things up too much during the model year and during a particular body style run so your 96 should be nearly an exact match for my 95. my air bag sensor is just in front of the radiator in the semi clear space between the headlights next to the windshield washer fluid bucket. its a black box 2 inches square or so with yellow connectors and yellow tape every couple inches along the loom. if you dont see or find this id guess that your salvaged maro probably had the nose taken off and the cheap and unsafe bastards didnt think to find/replace these critical parts. id hustle to the nearest bone yard and find the missing parts and get them installed, they are life savers kurt

Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Was it an accident or theft? Any wires pulled from the inside? Air bag systems will need at least two sensors to trigger the bag. The front sensor(s) and center sensor/computer. When both trigger at the same time then an air bag is deployed. Maybe one sensor was triggered and the other was not. Maybe there is a cut wire. You will easily know what is air bag stuff because it will (or should) have yellow connectors and wire loom. Also look for items unplugged. There are shunts in the plugs for all the air bag items and when any of them are unplugged the light will come on. The center sensor should be around the center console. Maybe behind the radio but in that general location. If it was a theft and the radio stolen then there is a posibilty that the harness was damaged for that sensor/computer

Old 05-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the responses. The 1996 was not in a front on collision, rather was hit in the rear quarter panel. I don’t find the Yellow Wiring Loom that should go to the front of the radiator that would connect to the front sensor. There are two mounting holes to mount a front sensor, but I am starting to doubt whether this model actually had a front sensor?

Where would the front sensor yellow wires originate from, so I can hunt them down?