General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

My wheel fell off. And my lugs were tight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My wheel fell off. And my lugs were tight.

Prologue

It was raining. Nothing good ever comes when its raining. My car is gutted, so the second friend I picked up had to sit on the floor in the back, with only a pillow and a seat belt. From his apartment, we made our rounds to the usual stomping grounds.

Setting

Its a private industrial area secluded from all the main streets, and after dark its deserted. It has two entrances, the front is more noticeable by police, while the back way lets you blend into traffic. There's two large warehouses, both parallel to each other. The front entrance connects to these, while the back entrance is on the opposite side with a long straightaway leading to small back roads and the freeway.

Conclusion

All was well, it was wet out so the burnouts and sliding were simple and easy. So we thought. After only 3 minutes of messing around, we went into one fateful skid. Now let me tell you, the way my car is set up, its not made to be thrown sideways. I have a mini-spool rear end. The tires are locked together so they can't spin independently. Think of a hot wheels car. If you turn a corner, one tire has to drag a bit right? Right. The slide was beautiful, up until the point where the studs holding my wheel on had enough abuse for the day. On that skid, all five of the studs snapped in half, sending my wheel flying off my car, while doing a burnout. The first thing I though was that there was a popped tired. Until I saw my wheel bouncing fifteen feet in the air with an incredible BOING sound. After two bounces, it made its way a hundred feet off into the bushes leaving my car stranded, resting on its traction bar on that side. We grinded to a stop fifty feet later. That's something you don't see every day.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: My wheel fell off. And my lugs were tight.

Well.....with a locked rearend, something's gotta give in a turn. I guess you just found out what gives!
Nice story. Sorry about the mishap, but the verbal picture you drew still made me want to laugh.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Ninja Administrator

agreed LOL!

but ouch dude. did you tear up the suspension?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Droid

The joys of locked rear ends. Usually it is one of the axles giving up and causing the carmeake asudden sharp turn. Guess the wheel studs couldn't take it any more. Sorry about the mishap.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

My suspension was fine lol, the car was resting on the slapper bar on that side. It bored the crap out of the back of the stud holes. I had to tack on the studs just to tighten the new studs.