Tight Engine Bay Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Tight Engine Bay Problem

I have a 99 SS\Z-28 (friend only tells me it's got the LS-2 I asked for installed) and the issue comes that I have no way to close the hood with the Kennebell 2.8 supercharger I've got planned for it, I've had the guy measure it out and even with a small pulley the Twin Screw doesn't fit with the hood. I can re plumb the intake for some things but the actual unit is being hit or closes exactly so if I started the motor the hood as is would be destroyed.

I was wondering if there are hoods that will fit my baby that will allow me at least an in and a half more clearence than stock.

If there was something like this posted I didn't see it. I'm trying to either get a Cowl hood or something similair to the SS hood with a bigger scoop over the intake to fit it in.

The car is a gift for a good friend of mine and I'd love to have it done so we can go racing with my 99 Mustang GT, which fits easy under a aftermarket hood, there is not much other I can do, I've already got a Spohn K-member in the bay and it's not coming any lower if I want to not bottom out over pebbles they said.

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Tight Engine Bay Problem

well you can always try ebay, how much more room douse the s/c need to fit? and is there any way you can build custom motor mounts to move the motor lower in the engine bay?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's already got Spohn mounts on it for the LS-2 Conversion I just can't find the few spots to feel comfortable with closing the hood and running the motor anywhere. GM mounted the engine so high it's almost needed a SS Scoop just to fit from what I gather, I suppose I could always fab out a hood, but that's downtime my project doesn't really have, Drag Racing is in the Summer not the winter...

Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Overdrive Member

depending on your budget you do have a nice selection of after market hoods out there....you can get a SS,ultra z, cowl, like above poster said try ebay if youre on a budget, or you can go to slponline.com,or ever try summit racing.it will be expensive because of the shipping no matter where you go,it will have to be shipped freight and that isnt cheap.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ohh there really isn't a budget, I mean the LS-2 equipped as it is was 15k alone, thumps a good 480hp on it's own for about same fuel economy as the LS-1 it had so far. It's just getting that top mount SC to fit in the Camaro's frame even the Vette the system I stole from has a cowl hood so I'm thinking it's what I'm going to do, the Mustang has a Cowl hood and they're supposed to match kinda as a Racing Crew trademark the two cars are supposed to look similairly modified.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cut a hole in the hood over the SC, then mount one of those LITTLE stick on cowl's over it. Just a thought.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:44 PM

Try this www.vfnfiberglass.com they have a few aftermarket hoods that would probably work with what your talking about...