General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

1999 Z28 with a First Gen 5.7 and a powerglide

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 AM
Default 1999 Z28 with a First Gen 5.7 and a powerglide

A friend of mine called me and told me he was selling this car for $1200 so i jumped on it. The car used to run 8.97 1/4 mile with a small block 400, a 2 stage Nitrous kit, and Drag radials. When i got ithe car it was a rolling chassis. Ok... so i bought a 1st gen 350 with a semi recent rebuild and a powerglide for $600 out of a buddies Nova. I dont know if this has ever been done before (Cant find any type of useful info) so here i am. Im guessing since it had a small block 400 that everything should go in place just fine. My main concern is id like for this car to be a semi daily driver and with the stock 3.42 gears and the powerglides 1.76 final drive im scared what the top end will be! lol... Any tips that anyone is willing to give id really appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:24 AM

Ohh... This is a link to the video of my Z28 (before i bought it) at the local track... it ran a 9.57 (Ran out of Juice)
http://www.myspace.com/lt1racer

Last edited by Kracen; 07-18-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Wrong HTML code
Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Swaps like that have been done, they have been reversed too (late model engine in a first gen body). I think your problems will be fuel delivery mostly.... among other things. That older 350 need a specific amount of fuel pressure... the curent fuel pump isnt that amount... You will need a fuel pressure regulator. Also, the computer and wiring and engine mounts and tranny mounts and tranny wiring and engine clearance and emisions and stuff.

Keep us updated, any questions please ask.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

IMO the biggest problem you will face is the distributer. Since the new design engines do not have a distribirer in the back of the engine GM left no clearance and worse no way to work on anything on the back of the motor. You would need to be a contourionist just to touch the distributer no less work on it. That is after you cut away the cowl.

I don't know the current state of the car but the orginal OBD2 computer system is connected to most of the sub systems in the car. Including ABS, Air bags, climate control and vats. If you want to make any of that stuff work you will be into a major project.

The reason you do not see any of these is because the 4th gen is a very hvy car. You would have to have a extream 350 setup for racing only and you will still have a tuff time get near what the car ran before the LS1 was pulled.

3rd Gen would be a better car for your 350. You would be better off finding a LS1 for you 4th Gen.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^^ He is right on.
But if it has that much work then maybe a LS6, LS2, or LS3 swap would be better. If the car has most of the factory wiring removed (it probaly does since it was a drag car) You can convert over to carb on any LSX engine and make some good power. You would need to build a SB with over 370 crank HP just to be as fast as a stock LS1 car (keep in mind your working with a Iron block engine now not light Aluminum)

Yes it can be done and depending on the corrent set up (motor mounts, wiring, ect) it might be set up well for a SB. But if it was me i would pick up a used LS2 or LS6 buy a nice LSX carb coversion pick up a used TH400 transmission and run the hell out of it . That should not brake the bank too bad and still get you some good track times.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Kracen
A friend of mine called me and told me he was selling this car for $1200 so i jumped on it. The car used to run 8.97 1/4 mile with a small block 400, a 2 stage Nitrous kit, and Drag radials. When i got ithe car it was a rolling chassis. Ok... so i bought a 1st gen 350 with a semi recent rebuild and a powerglide for $600 out of a buddies Nova. I dont know if this has ever been done before (Cant find any type of useful info) so here i am. Im guessing since it had a small block 400 that everything should go in place just fine. My main concern is id like for this car to be a semi daily driver and with the stock 3.42 gears and the powerglides 1.76 final drive im scared what the top end will be! lol... Any tips that anyone is willing to give id really appreciate it.
1) The 400 small block that used to be in the car is a Gen 1 engine, just like the 350 you want to put in. Since the 400 worked clearance wise, the 350 will slip right in.
2) The 1.76 drive you're referring to is the low gear. Final drive on that transmission is still 1:1. It's not an overdrive gear like you're thinking it is.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 AM

Thanks guys... I hadnt really payed much attention to the distributor at the rear of the engine, the windshield cowl would be in the way and almost impossibly to work on. The car has a tubular K-member so the motor mount thing isnt a prob. When i got the car the entire thing was stripped with a plexiglass rear glass. I bout another parts body (Not even a rolling body) and put all the interior back in it but the guts under the dash. All the lights and blinkers work fine. The rest of the suspention is beefed up real nice. The direction i wanna go with this car is a ground pounding show car even though thats far from the original 4th gen lol... i kinda want old school with a new feel because my dads birthday is coming up and i want him to have this car. Here's the other thing, i found a 1996 wrecked convertible Firebird today (Hit in the rear) that ran high 11's with an LT1 and a T-56 6speed for $2000. This car would have everything i'd need to go back fuel injection and have fun without spending alot of money on this project (I have 3 kids and 5 cars and im only 25) so needless to say im strapped for cash lol...

Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 AM

So the powerglide is a bad idea? Probably only cruise at about 55mph around here...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not the greatest choice, mostly because it's a two speed trans. First gear will be doggy as compared to a T350, and even doggier than the 4L60E that originally came in your car.