Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

small block chevy

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Default small block chevy

i got a small block 350 and i'm planing on puting it in a 87 monte carlo with a4speedand 350 already has a cam and i have a set of headers and i got about $500 to spend and i'd like 2 make more power out of it i'm thinkin about aluminum intake orflattop pistions and i got a couple of friends that are tellin me 2 bore it out but i honestly have no idea wat i sould do

ill probolly mostly b using thiscar for tearing around on saturday nights its not a daily driver but i want to be able to get the job done

Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: small block chevy

You'll probably ahve better luck posting this up in the "Engine and Internal" Section, I'll go ahead and move it there for you, but in order to answer your question we're going to need some more specs on the motor, current compression ratio, cam specs, what heads etc.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: small block chevy

I dont know what kind of shape the engine is in or if it actually needs bored or not. To do the job the way it should be done $500 isnt enough to buy decent flat tops, resize the rods(it all needs disassembled) balance the rotating assembly hot tank new bearing ect...

The second option would be to spray it you could find a used set up for $500 or less but I am not real knowledgable about it so maybe someone else could give you a bit more guidance.

The third option depends on the lift of cam you have current condition of the engine and heads you are running and some risk taking but I think it will be close to $500. I am assuming you have a smog era 350 and your cam lift is less than .460. This really depends the condition of the engine if it had decent compression and wasnt burning oil and had good oil pressure I would chance leaving the short block alone(you are on an extreme budjet) go to the junk yard or wherever and a set of vortec heads(96 to a 99 full sized 350 truck yukon suberban they will have three triangles on the front 061 or 901 casting better look that up I forget) get both heads and the rocker arms keep them on the same valves it should cost you $200 or less grab the covers and their gaskets. Naturally try to get a set with lower miles on them you might need to tell them you have a truck of that year or they will not sell them to you[:@]. You can get into porting the exhaust side but that is another story. clean them up especially the mating surface. put the engine on a stand get all antifreeze and oil out of it unbolt the manifold and remove, remove the pushrods and lifters and number to the cam lobe(assuming hydraulic flat tappit) if you mix them up get new lifters no questioning this. Loosen the head bolts turn the engine so the heads are facing down and remove the heads(reduce the chance of dirt getting in) put rags in the cylinders and remove the head gasket residue and this point check and see if the block surface is smooth and straight if it is get a set of fel pro rubber coated steel shim .015 thick head gaskets. With the vortec heads they need to take a specific manifold... try I think their called professional products they are decent. If you can get the head bolts from the junk yard get them if not get new ones. Put it back together and see how it runs If your luck it should come in at $500 or less.........