Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default oil leak

can any1 tell me all the possible spots for a chevy 350 to leak oil on the back of the motor?? cuz ive brin under and over the carfor 2 daysand i cant find the damn leak

Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: oil leak

can you see where it is seeping from, if it is coming from the area of in between the bell housing to the transmission and the the part of the motor where the bellhousing bolts to the block, it could be the rear main seal is worn and needs to be replaced, or it could be the oil pan gasket, which that can be a pain to replace. can you see where the its coming from at all.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

no ive tried really hard to see...and all the gaskets are new and its like dripping from the aprt of the block were tho oil filter screwes in but theres no oil on the filter itself...like and somehow its dripping onto the flywheel and gettin sprayed all over the subframe on the pass side like the starter gets wet and all..but its not like a fast leak...like if it sits all night it will be like a thin 4x4 puddle under the car...but the puddle is landing like on the driver side right to the inside of the collecter on the header...i think its running there from somewere but i cant find anything

Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

thats a real tough diagnosis to tell w/out seeing it personally, but if you don't see where it is coming from, and it looks like its seeping from over in that area, one other thing that could be the problem is that when you replaced the oil filter, this happens every once in a while, the black rubber seal from the old filter gets stuck on the block and sometimes goes unnoticed and the new gets put right over it, causing a gap and thats where it could be leaking from, but if not, then i would deffinetly have to say that it is probably the rear main seal, the only way of really finding out if pulling the tranny and look at it, now you said that all of the gaskets are brand new, its quite possible that you may of installed it wrong, there is certain ways that the lip on it has to point a certain way, but thats all that i can think of, i'll keep doing some research and i'll let you know, let me know on the progress of checking those past 2 things.