Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Clicking sound....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Clicking sound....

Ok so i just got a ford probe and its got a overhead cam. there is a knocking/ticking noice coming from the engine (kinda like a lifter is knocking but it doesnt have lifters since its a overhead cam right?) and i need to know what a possible problem could be. Thanks

Old 06-30-2007, 12:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Clicking sound....

also its a 4 cylander if that matters

Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM

okay. this may be right or wrong.you obviously know that when the lifters/valves are out of whack then you geta knock/ping. Ihave a ticking noise coming from my engine bay. I know what the problem is and i have heard others (older) cars have the same noise. The exhaust gasket on ma camaro blew (where the headers meet the manifold) and i replaced it (actually both). trouble is that on some cars (like mine) the spaces are fairly tight if you have gorilla hands and thick arms to get in there and tighten them up (torque) properly. what i am gettong at is that i have tried replacing the same bank's gasket 3 times and it keeps blowing cause 1. i cant get a torque wrench in there 2. i cant get any more leverage and 3. because the headers bend over the bolt in a bad place.

i called a few places and the average was around 180.00 sucks *****.

basically if you dont tighten it right it is bound to blow again.

try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from EXACTLY - try moving from side to side and see where it is louder then stick your ear closer to really find it. to see if it is a blown gasket or not

around where the gasket is feel around for hotTER air coming out like in a pulse (like when that piston fires.

hope this helps

Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM
1st Gear Member

i have to agree with lighter, i did that on my bros probe and it just kept going every time that i installed it, another problem is that the rocker arms could be out of whack, this could be a pain in the ***, but take the valve covers off and have someone go under the car and rotate the engine with a socket, every like quarter of a turn, stop, and then play around with the rockers and see if any of them are somewhat loose, you wanna make them tight but not to tight, give that a shot and let me know of the progress.