Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Need help with oiling issue (383 stroker)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Default Need help with oiling issue (383 stroker)

I just installed a new 383 stroker engine in my car and fired it up for the first time a few days ago. With 15/40 weight oil and zinc additive, I had 80-100psi of oil pressure (which I believe to be WAY too high). It started leaking oil from around the distributer gasket as well. Considering the fact that the engine still has a stock capacity oil pan, that's really not a good thing because I've read that it can actually pump the oil pan dry (causing a major disaster). I contacted the guy who built the engine and he confirmed that it has a "High Volume" oil pump. If it were a lower hp engine, I wouldn't think twice about simply putting a stock oil pump in it to lower the pressure, but this engine is putting out 500+hp (off the bottle) and has a Power Shot nitrous system as well. So, I'm kinda stuck in a spot here. How much oil pressure should I actually need and what to do to get it there? Even though it's putting out quite a bit of ponies, I don't think it has to have 80-100psi (obviously, the gaskets are not liking this, as it has already blown out quite a bit of oil from the distributer gasket in the back of the engine from just a few minutes of run time). I'm either gonna have to get a larger capacity oil pan and lower the pressure somehow, or go with a stock type of oilpump. The engine will probably be shifted around 6,000-6,200rpm max. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Droid

I am assuming you used a high volume pump. In some cases this pump will pump more oil to the heads than can easily drain back or flow through the bearings. Hence causing excessive pressure and oil leaks at the top of the engine. If the stock pump can maintain proper pressure, a high volume pump is not desired or needed. A high volume pump is beneficial in racing engines that are built to larger bearing clearances and need more oil flow to maintain proper pressure.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try some 5w30 wt oil. what oil filter are you using. i used a high pressure pump that runs close to stock volume. even then i went with a larger oil pan.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm thinking it was an "AC Delco" filter (I can't go check to confirm, because it's pouring rain outside at the moment). This is kind of a bummer because I have this new engine now that I'm afraid to run. I've got to get this oil pressure down and it's either gonna cost me a new oil pump or a larger pan with longer pickup.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A stock oil pump is all your engine needs. Advertising hype makes people think that their high performance engine needs a high volume pump. You said "I wouldn't think twice about simply putting a stock oil pump in it to lower the pressure, but this engine is putting out 500+hp". So then, what catastrophic thing is going to happen with using a stock pump? For one thing, I have to question the engine builder for installing a h.v. pump, but keeping with a standard capacity oil pan? A high volume pump is good for a flat out race engine, that is built with looser than standard bearing tolerances, they need to have more oil moving. But a street engine, especially a fresh built one, doesn't need anything other than stock. I'd change the pump out, what you have going on isn't good, and isn't necessary.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can lower your pressure by replacing the pressure relief spring with a shorter or stock spring. i would think it would still leave you with to much volume. that can wear on the relief valve and cause the oil to heat up.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
you can lower your pressure by replacing the pressure relief spring with a shorter or stock spring. i would think it would still leave you with to much volume. that can wear on the relief valve and cause the oil to heat up.
Right, the spring will only change the pressure. The h.v. pumps also have a bigger (longer) gear which makes it move more oil (volume).

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the info guys! Will get rid of this high volume pump, get a stocker and be done with it (that simple). Thanks again!