LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

lt1 350 - intermittent issue - video showing issue - anybody ever experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Exclamation lt1 350 - intermittent issue - video showing issue - anybody ever experience this?

Guesses are getting expensive! Local chevy dealership says that the 93's are bad for showing no codes...as this one is not showing any. They "think" it might be the distributor, which is not cheap. Already had diagonostic. I'm going to get them to put a new coil on it...there already is a new ICM on it (ECM? on front of block). New opti-spark. Description of issue in the details section of video...woudl really, really appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone that has had this happen to them or someone they know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr07LyqzZPA

Kindly,

RS

Last edited by The_Bandit; 10-20-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: video that shows issue is not allowing the text to show...moving video link
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM
The Mustang Hunter

That is a classic symptom of a bad ICM. The ICM is the Ignition Control Module, and it is attached to the coil on the front of the driver side cylinder head. The ECM is the Engine Control Module, which is your car's "computer" and is located on the passenger side between the shock tower and the cowl.

In your video, you said it was raining, so it might also be the opti. Here is an easy way to test of it is the opti: replace the ICM and coil, then try to start the car. If it doesn't run, it's the opti. If the ICM on there is new, you can test it by removing the coil wire from the opti (so that it is still attached to the coil), hold it near something metal and crank the car. If it does not spark, then it's the coil or ICM. If it does spark, it's new opti time. If you do replace the opti, get a new water pump as well.

Let us know what happens, and as always,

Good luck and kill Ruatanks!!!

x01660

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by The_Bandit
They "think" it might be the distributor, which is not cheap. Already had diagonostic. I'm going to get them to put a new coil on it...there already is a new ICM on it (ECM? on front of block). New opti-spark.
So they think the new optispark (distributor) is bad? Was the engine acting this way before the optispark was replaced? If it was, I kinda doubt your issue would be with the opti, unless you just drove the car through a swamp.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail when the engine kills. Just because you can hear the pump run, doesn't mean it's keeping up with demand, or that the filter isn't clogged, or that the fuel pressure regulator isn't bad. I would rule out fuel supply first, as the dieing out seems too much like clockwork to me for it to be an electronic/electrical issue. Not saying it can't be electrical, just would seem weird to be for what it's doing.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Hey guys, thanks for responding in such detail... (nice cars by the way in your pics), the local GM dealership says that they believe that it is the distributor...with taxes in (I'm in Canada = crazy taxes) and diagnostic, and labor it's going to be around 1200cnd. Which could have went to some killer parts...BUT I guesss it has to be running first! I'm going to use the information that you guys gave me and share it (politely) with dealership service ppl. But...I'm afraid that this is going to get costly, with the info that both of your offered...maybe not.

thanks again,

richard

Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pull the computer and make sure water is not getting in there. i had an issue with mine getting water in there. did some strange things. if the opti is new what brand name is it? some of the cheap china opti's are known to fail early or not work at all. why not install the opti yourself. if you have an auto the computers are hard to find at a reasonable price. there is a place in florida that had one for me. watch it though theres a rip off place that has changed there name a couple times in florida too.