Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Head problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Head problems

I got the new studs now and went to put them in and i now found out i broke a push rod. this sucks.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Do you notice any rubbing on the bottoms of the comp rockers or on the pushrod it sounds like something was binding are they aftermarket pushrods? What did dart say about the stud breaking?

Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No i didnt notice anything rubbing or binding. they are comp magnum pushrods. dart tried to tell me that the springs were too heavy which makes no sense bc they put them in the heads. I just went ahead and ordered a set of arp rollor studs and a new push rod and i guess ill guess put it back together to see if that fixes the problem.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eric89RS

dart tried to tell me that the springs were too heavy which makes no sense bc they put them in the heads.
That was my thought too. I am just taking a shot in the dark on this 1. I take it from the conversation you broke more than one stud which decreases the chance it is defective studs. You checked for coil bind as Pete suggested and found no problem. You checked for retainer valve guide interferance as Bill suggested and found none (if its the same stud I would double check this one), the rocker is not hitting the edge of the spring cap and there is no sign of pushrod bind/interferance. I thought of piston valve clearance issues but you would be having bigger problems. This is just an idea but did you measure the pushrod length for proper geometry and account for the lifter pump up(ie hydraulic roller) I dont know if this would cause the problem or not but it was the only other thing I could think of other than just being a bad set of studs.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Droid

Griff brings up s good point. Especially with roller rockers, if the push rods are not the proper length, the roller tip can travel right off the valve stem and land on the spring retainer causing problems. I don't quite see the lifters pumping at idle speed, that is usually a high RPM problem. However, the springs could be strong enough to cause the lifter to stay collapsed at idle, which then will have the same effect as a push rod that is too short. The people from Dart may have the right idea.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you turn over the engine by hand you should see rocker arm geometry problems in the state of a collasped lifter, makes sense to me and should be easy to check. Here is something else to check off of the afr web site ROCKER ARMS:
If you are using Comp. Cams 3/8 Pro Magnum rocker arms you will need to use a longer stud (AFR #6409) because of the thicker trunion on this rocker arm.
Let us know what you find out..

Old 11-04-2006, 04:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Im sorry but the studs are 7/16 sorry for the mistake. i got my new push rod and i got all the new studs in so ill let u know what i found out. i think what happen is that the one stud broke and jambed under the other one and caused it to break the pushrod.