Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

extremely low oil pressure...worried

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Default extremely low oil pressure...worried

my camaro has recently been having some problems with the oil gauge. the wires or sender unit were most likely worn out, so i replaced both with a mechanical gauge which is much more accurate. but, before i did that the oil pressure had just been dropping really, really low (12-18 psi.) after the engine warmed up and i would come to a stop at a light or even slowing down. the normal that its at is about 40-45 psi and it never really goes past or up to 60 psi. im really worried because the red-zone or 'danger' zone is right around 0-15 psi . (judging by the stock gauge). i have a feeling i just might be low on oil, or something else is up...

note: if its low on oil im going to have to replace some things cuz i just put new oil in about3 weeks ago..

Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: extremely low oil pressure...worried

You could have an oil leak and that can lower your oil pressure. I had an oil leak that I cleared up and noticed an improvement in oil pressure. Think of it as a slit artery and you're bleeding all over the place. You'll retain blood pressure until there's no blood to keep the pressure constant and at which time an artery collaspes on itself from suction and creates zero blood pressure. If the oil keeps going lower and lower you lose your pressure.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: extremely low oil pressure...worried

How many miles are on your engine, and what kind of oil did you put in?
What's your oil pressure at idle with a cold engine versus a hot engine? Same for highway cruising rpm's?
Your oil level isn't the issue, unless you have next to no oil left in the pan (a couple of quarts). When you have a noticablepressure change between a cold and hot engine, it means one thing...engine bearings are worn. Other than havingno oilin the pan, low oil pressure is caused by excessive tolerances between the bearings and journals. More bearing tolerance=larger gap=low oil pressure. Compareit to a garden hose (or an artery) if you want. Which one has higher pressure, the wide open hose (wide tolerance), or the one with yourthumb held over the opening (tight tolerance)?
Thicker viscosity oil may help, as well as a motor honey type of oil additive. Both those will keep your oil thicker when it gets hot, keepingit fromrushing past the bearings as fast. But, it's only a band-aid, the low pressure is telling you there is wear.