Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

engine rebuld help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear member
Default engine rebuld help

hello everyone, it has come that time that i realised my engine really needs an overhaul, losing a quart of oil every week or two makes itself noticed lol, the only thing is, this is the one thing that i know NOTHING about, i figured i was going to get all of the parts needed and then take it to a machine shop so they dont charge me price and a half on parts and i'll take the engine out of the car, only thing is, what exactly should i get? i have a Chevy 350 crate and i assume it is bone stock. i want it to be fast, but nothing track worthy, just streetable (its my daily driver) i do want better cams and heads than it has stock and need her nice and beefy though, could anyone give some good examples and maybe some sites i could check out? thank you

Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Depending on what exactly you want to do, Summit Racing has several top end kits for 350 Chevy's. They also sell engine rebuild kits with everything you should need to do an engine rebuild, and you can choose by what they include (ie. some come with forged pistions).

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...vy+rebuild+kit

as for the top end kits they have full kits which include cam, intake, and heads or just cam and heads.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...nd%20kit&dds=1

Hopefully this will get you started.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear member

now when it says "Top End Engine Kit, Power Package, 410 HP, 408 ft. lbs., Intake... Chevy 350, Kit" that isnt what its going to put out is it? lol

Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam78
hello everyone, it has come that time that i realised my engine really needs an overhaul, losing a quart of oil every week or two makes itself noticed lol, the only thing is, this is the one thing that i know NOTHING about, i figured i was going to get all of the parts needed and then take it to a machine shop so they dont charge me price and a half on parts and i'll take the engine out of the car, only thing is, what exactly should i get? i have a Chevy 350 crate and i assume it is bone stock. i want it to be fast, but nothing track worthy, just streetable (its my daily driver) i do want better cams and heads than it has stock and need her nice and beefy though, could anyone give some good examples and maybe some sites i could check out? thank you
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy71
Depending on what exactly you want to do, Summit Racing has several top end kits for 350 Chevy's. They also sell engine rebuild kits with everything you should need to do an engine rebuild, and you can choose by what they include (ie. some come with forged pistions).

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...vy+rebuild+kit

as for the top end kits they have full kits which include cam, intake, and heads or just cam and heads.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...nd%20kit&dds=1

Hopefully this will get you started.
Here's the rub,the engine re-builder can get parts at wholesale price so he can mark them up and still charge you what you would have to pay for them at retail so he makes a profit on parts and you pay the same.
Then there's the labor charges for machine and assembly work,he's not going to cut you any deals if you walk in the door with all the parts in hand.
When you do all the math and compare it to a crate motor with a warranty and a proven combination of parts you probably will not come out ahead.
What you need to do is find a good shop that will rebuild your motor at a reasonable cost,if they quote you a stupid price you can use the crate engine price as a bargaining chip.
If they want the work they'll have to be reasonable or you walk out and find someone else or just order a crate engine.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Y2K has a point. Unless you know someone who can do the machining for you or is willing to do it very cheap and you're going to actually do the rebuild yourself, you're better off buying the parts through the engine rebuilder or buying a crate engine. Now if you decide to go to a rebuilder it would be to your benefit to know what performance upgrades you want to do to the engine and how much they're going to cost you so that when you go to them so that you know whether their prices are high or low.

That's I've decided to go with a crate engine for my car. You can get a performance engine that is built with good performance parts that are made to make HP and for durability, plus most good crate engine builders will offer a warranty. And all for only a little more than you would spend for a complete engine rebuild with the forged pistons, aluminum heads, intake manifold, carb, cam, etc.