82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Engine Swap or Engine Rebuild???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Default Engine Swap or Engine Rebuild???

Hello all, I recently purchased my 1984 Camaro Z28 for about $400. And it is definately worth only $400. I am a long way off before I mess with the engine butI'm looking to get an idea of what to do. Right now it has a stock 305 5.0L V8 with over 130,000 miles on it. I only drove it once, but when I did everytime I accelerated the whole engine seemed to twist and when I let off the gas it twisted back to its original poition. It also burned alot of oil due to the cloud of smoke surrouning it.Under the hood it a whole mess of unplugged and/or cut wires, hoses, tubes, gaps where things should be, etc. I guess my main question is should I say the heck with it and just drop in a brand new engine or should I try to tear it down to the bones and rebuild the current one? I am looking to get as much HP and torque out of this as I can. So I'm just trying to get a little guidence at this point to see what the best course of action would be. Thanks for reading and I hope to get a few replies!

Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Engine Swap or Engine Rebuild???

If you are looking for the most power and torque, you should start by swapping out the 305 with either a 350 or 383. That will take care of the torque part. To max out the power get some good breathing heads, cam, intake, and carb.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
March 2008 ROTM

man, you werent kiddin about a mess! you could do many thing. Best bet would be to build a 350 or stroker like pete says. the 305 will mostly likely never get you what you want. unless you spend a lot of money. but it can be done. you gotta think of your budget. MAKE one of those first. then make a list of things you would like to do. look up prices for those things. move from there.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM

From everyone I've talked to a 350 sounds like the way to go. I mainly want to have the ability to put all thesekids in their place with the japanese cars that sound like bees going down the road. I've pulled up to them in my 97 firebird way to many times knowing theres nothing I can do. I just basically want to do this car right and give it the ***** it deserves.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM

i know how that goes just get a sticker that says fallow me to the track haha see what geed they can do there haha that is where we rule after all

Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If your not ready to swap but still want to drive your 400 dollar wonder. It sounds like you need some mounts and some valve seals. The mounts youll need for the 350 anyway, and the valveseals are like 12 bucks

Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM

hey bro i can relate thats what happen with mine it came with a v6 im putting a 350 in soon

Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I think your best best is putting a whole new engine in. I personally would also go with the 350 or 383 because that will give your car some beef. Carb or FI is your personal preference. If you go carb, beef it up a little bit, throw some headers on, and a new exhaust and you should be squashing those rice burners all day long.

I dropped a 350 in mine and kept the stock TBI, threw on Edelbrock Shorty headers, and Flowmaster exhaust and I can stop those ricers all day long. Not to mention I am the current champ in our school parking lot

Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 PM

I rule my school parking lot too in Minnesota here. My 82 z28 came with the 305 as well, although it's the low output one. Haha that says quite a bit right there about the cars in this town(I stomp almost everyone of them, accept a diesel turbo pickup).I do like orignality, however, I need more power so I found a parts 84 Z28 with the L69(I think that's right) high output 305. It's an increase of about 45 more HP and I have a holley aluminum intake and 600CC carb to throw on it. After that I want new heads, cams, and exhaust kit and I'll leave it alone. I'm going to strip it though and go through it to make sure nothings wrong. I get dash pieces I need as well. Anyway, should be coming this week sometime. I'll post picks, only paying 150 bucks for the parts car. Going this route will mean my tranny is still safe too(TH700).

Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 AM

I say, drop in a new engine!!

Quick Reply: Engine Swap or Engine Rebuild???