Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

electric cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:50 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default electric cooling fans

what are some of the pro's and con's to running electric cooling fans.also ,what would be the best way to wire them up .use a thermostat and wire it to work with a thermostat and kick on at a certain temp or wire it up to a toggle switch and turn it on when i need it.just looking for some idea's.what kind of horsepower gains can i expect from this.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: electric cooling fans

if your a drag racer and constantly have your hands under the hood while its running, it sure as hell saves your fingers LOL. as far as HP gains, i see very little in the change over unless your willling to do away with the belts and pulleys all together. when i did away with my belts and pulleys i estimate i gained about 25 HP. which worked out to be about 5 mph through the 1/4 mile. i had to go with electric fans electric water pump, and dual batterys to take the place of the alternator. the main reason i went with the change was after building my motor i realized that i had created a 10,000 dollar rubber shredder LOL. it ate belts like they were going out of style. ran my engine hot a couple times so the belts had to go. Sick

Old 09-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Tech Droid

For street use they are a better option than belt driven fans. Use a thermoswitch to turn them on & off automatically at the right temperature. Saves gas as they only work when needed, and save power at high RPM when a belt driven fan is forced to turn faster than needed.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:42 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats kind of what i got sick,a rubber shreder.throws the dam belts everytime my rpm's get up around 6000.i got all the big block brackets and just dont matter.my alternator belt is kicked sideways a little bit and its got to be the bracket that comes over from the water pump on the bottom of the alternator.i got to get these belts figured out or off the dam car.this is a street car.thanks for the advice guys

Old 09-20-2006, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

also try using deep groove pulleys.

the only con to electric fans are their comparison costs to a manual fan

Old 09-20-2006, 01:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

Electric fans are a bit more expensive, but They don't use horsepower to turn and they are safer because they are caged.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bowtieguy

thats kind of what i got sick,a rubber shreder.throws the dam belts everytime my rpm's get up around 6000.i got all the big block brackets and just dont matter.my alternator belt is kicked sideways a little bit and its got to be the bracket that comes over from the water pump on the bottom of the alternator.i got to get these belts figured out or off the dam car.this is a street car.thanks for the advice guys
I posted this info on another thread already but in case you didn't see it here it is.

once a belt gets thrown, even just once, it is wrecked. from then on it will always be more apt to come off again. if you are still using same belts this could compound the problem. also does you alternator bracket also have a mounting point on your exhaust? if it doesn't, that could be a major problem for you too

Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the alt. bracket mounts to the top of the intake and the water pump.there is nothing that mounts to the exhaust.the bottom bracket mounts to the front of the water pump and i think the hole on this bottom bracket is off a little bit.it is defianately a big block bracket,i have compared to a small block bracket and my bracket is longer.i think i'm going to buy all new brackets from summit and be done with it.