Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

416 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I could see the plug clearance having just as much to do with the header design as the head design, so I could consider that too.

However the quality of the AFR's is phenomenal, just plain out of my price range though.

I was looking through some more parts that they offer. Most of it honestly, looks like high quality stuff. I hate myself for saying that though. I would also hate myself if I said half the stuff under my hood was Pro Comp stuff.

The thing is though, a lot of parts nowadays are going off JUST their name. The quality is lacking from what it used to be. For example, I have a Trans Dapt Slam Guard chrome oil pan. The chrome finish is inconsistent, the spot welds are visible through the finish, etc. Yet it sells for $130 bucks.

Bottom line, there might not be as much of a difference between Pro Comp and other well regarded brands anymore, besides name and price.

I found these heads on CL, but the lowest the guy would go was $900, WITHOUT the roller rockers:
http://limaohio.craigslist.org/pts/1499507679.html

Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hopefully those Pro Comps will work out well. I guess I would be tempted if I were you. The guy with the AFR's on the Camaro knows a big wig at the company, and got a hell of a steal on them. I asked "hey can you get me a set"? Told me to check with him in the spring when I'm ready to do it. Got my fingers and toes crossed.
Oh, and that craigslist Bowtie heads? The guy will negotiate down from $1k to $900 if he takes the rockers? What a pal.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Hopefully those Pro Comps will work out well. I guess I would be tempted if I were you. The guy with the AFR's on the Camaro knows a big wig at the company, and got a hell of a steal on them. I asked "hey can you get me a set"? Told me to check with him in the spring when I'm ready to do it. Got my fingers and toes crossed.
Oh, and that craigslist Bowtie heads? The guy will negotiate down from $1k to $900 if he takes the rockers? What a pal.
Yeah, I'm really hoping they do. If the quality isn't up to par right off the bat they'll be going back.

However you should just get those AFR's and I'll trade you a set of Pro Comps for them

How about some input on the Cam? Is the 1064 going to be too much for my daily driver? I'm looking for the most power possible (up to the 400-425 range), but it also has to behave well at stoplights, start easily, and have enough vacuum for my power brakes.