Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default No Fuel

1994 3.4 V6 - Been working on this project over a year and finally ready to turn the key and go for a short test drive. Fill all the fluids and check all the hoses, pipes, plugs (I can see), etc. before hooking up the fuel lines, try to prime them. Nothing, pump won't pump, already changed fuel filter so that's not it. Crawl under the car and jump the fuel pump, gas comes out of the fuel line like a garden hose! Connected fuel lines, jumpered the pump and released the air from the fuel rail at the pressure check valve. Car won't start and there is no preasure at the check valve, gas just bubbles out. If pump was pumping, gas would spray out of the valve, 47 psi I think. Anyway, who has an answer as to why the pump isn't getting voltage through the system? What am I missing? Gotta be something simple. I hope! Pump definitely does not run unless I jumper it, no question about it.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Droid

Have you checked for voltage at the pump without jumping the wires? Also check the pump relay. The pump may be good but the normal wiring could be bad.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

No voltage at the pump without jumping it. I'm unplugging it from underneath the vehicle, the connection that comes out behind the back seat. I'm jumping the black wire (ground) and gray wire (hot) with an external 12 volt source. When I do the pump works fine. There is no voltage at the connectors on the on the vehicle. Where is the pump relay? Is that the connection point? Are there any other fuses or relays in that circuit? If someone has a readable wiring diagram, that would really help.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look in the under hood fuse box.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Craby, there are several relays, 6, in that fuse block none click or get hot when I cycle the ignition. There is only one that has an ID that would make me think it "may" be part of what I'm looking for, I'll check that one though. Actually, Chaotic had an old thread that says it's under the foot rest on the drives side kick panel, I'll check that in the morning. I need to post all my rebuild pics on this car, not a lot but, learned a boat load for when I switch the motor in my Z28 and hopefully save someone else some busted knuckles and time at apologizing to neighbors for loud, foul language Anyway, hope that's all it is, sure would like to drive this car tomorrow! It's the silver t-top '94 I've been working on off and on for over a year! BTW how's the fishing this winter?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have a fuel pump relay i just gota figure out where the heck it is. this is 93 3.4 diagram.

Name:  P7020006.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  52.2 KB

Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Tech Droid

Check under the left foot rest on the driver side, under the floor mat.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, Craby and Pete, I'll check them in the morning and post the results! Real pi**er! All ready to crank it up yesterday and finish it up, loose ends, today. then this Bravo Sierra!!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, it's not the relay. Put a new one in, same problem. Checked wiring from there back to pump, it's good. Sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body, engine fired for about half a second. Got to be something electrical or a sensor. Any suggestions? I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator....

Quick Reply: No Fuel