Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Ported vs Sealed Box Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Default Ported vs Sealed Box Enclosure

70% of your sound of your subwoofer is due to the design and build quality of your sub enclosure. When picking a subwoofer box, deciding to either go sealed or ported will determine how your system will sound.

...read the full guide here with pics

Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Ported vs Sealed Box Enclosure

ported hits lower and louder. drop seats are a must though... sealed is for cars with out drop seats.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 PM

i only do ported..

Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Sealed boxes are a crisper hit though. More of a "Thump" than a "Boom"

In general, my opinion is that you have more accurate sound reproduction in a sealed box. Depends on what you're trying to do though. If you want it loud, and "boom" then do ported. (Rap fans I take it like ported boxes...Rockers like myself like sealed -- that way the kick drum still sounds like a kick drum, etc.)

Plus, sealed boxes tend to be more forgiving in design. As long as you have the right amount of airspace for the speaker, then it should sound decent regardless of the shape. That becomes important when you have limited space to deal with (like in a Camaro or Fiero).

I just got done building a speaker box that fits on the "shelf" above the rear axle in the rear hatch. Once I get my amplifier installed I will post up impressions on the sound of it. If it sounds good, I will post up pictures and possibly offer to build and sell some if there is any interest.

It is made of 3/4" MDF, and will house up to 2 12" (maybe 15" subs) with a mount depth of up to 7.25"

I have a cheap-a$$ couple of 10s that I'm carrying over from my old car that I will do some testing with, but the box is probably way oversized for those 10s. (I've got a nicer 10 in my Fiero that I may borrow for testing purposes).

Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a sub box under the back seat in my silverado with a deeper mounting depth..
If your going to put subs in a camaro put the box down in the hatch area. You get a
much deeper mounting depth which is going to make it sound way better. Plus if you put
a big powerful sub in a small enclosure with no room to breath you will just burn the
sub up. Also a box sitting up on the hump area like you were talking about, you will limit
your visisbility out of the rear window.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear member

i took out my rear seats and built two indivual sealed boxes for my 15. They sound AMAZING!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:44 PM

That's a sweet setup Trips. Nice & clean.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TRIPSxZ28

I have a sub box under the back seat in my silverado with a deeper mounting depth..
If your going to put subs in a camaro put the box down in the hatch area. You get a
much deeper mounting depth which is going to make it sound way better. Plus if you put
a big powerful sub in a small enclosure with no room to breath you will just burn the
sub up. Also a box sitting up on the hump area like you were talking about, you will limit
your visisbility out of the rear window.
Got my box put together and installed (not carpeted yet, but that's coming this week) and have been driving around a bit with it back there, and visibility is really not a problem. You don't even see it in the rear-view mirror. The box only protrudes about 1" above the rear seat-back, and the amp is installed on top, so another 1.5". But you can't even see the amp in the mirror, and I can see the entire rear glass in the mirror, so it's not like I'm just adjusting the mirror extra high.

The box itself has approx. 2.25 cubic feet of airspace, which should be right for 2 kicker CVR10s (Which I hope to upgrade to in the future, along with a properly sized amp).

See https://camaroforums.com/m_120509/tm.htm for pics of the bare box (no speakers/wiring/amp), including a view from the front seat.

You've got quite the sound rig yourself though, very impressive
I can't afford to lose my entire trunk though, plus if I ever want to race, I want to be able to pull it out relatively easily. With the set up I've created, you unhook a couple of wires and pull the whole thing out as a unit.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I see what your saying about the visibility, but you have no mounting depth in that box and very limited
air space. You have to be careful not to burn them up, how many watts are you gonna be running? Believe it or not mine comes out in two pices, I have to unhook a ton of wires, its heavy and there is no trunk space at all. So yes I see your point.....

Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Currently running (an admittedly undersized) 220 (110x2) el-cheapo jensen on 2 really el-cheapo 10s (not sure what brand, bought for $20 back when I was in high school). The amp/sub combo has been running in a couple of different cars, but successfully for 7 years. (2 different box setups, this is the 3rd for these components, and by far the most airspace).

It's not really loud, but does what I want. According to the spec sheets for the CVR10s, it's just the right amount of airspace, and is a 7.25(ish, maybe upwards of 7.75) mount depth. For comparison I'm running a CVR10 with .6 cubic feet in my Fiero on a 440W alpine amp, and it sounds awesome in that little car.

Edit: Just realized I've somewhat derailed this thread, I'll make any further comments on the setup I'm creating in my build thread, apologies are offered where appropriate.