Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

HVAC/radio location switch info.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't like how the 98+ console leaves a big gap between it and the dash. And I've seen that done also in the 98+, The one I saw looked good, but he had it done professionally and put carputer screen in the dash. I'm going to try and look at it tomorrow and see if it's possible. If the wires for the HVAC will move pretty easy, then I'm going to try and start tomorrow and get everything I need and finish it this weekend.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:04 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
That's cool, thanks ali. Any idea if a head unit would have enough room to fit in there?
i think it could,it might be tight but it should fit.I still need to find a hvac block off/delete plate for my car(for the controls),but all the ones ive seen are for the 97+ dash's,not a whole lot for the older ones.I love the way the early 4th gen's looked,it is plain and simple

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I tore into the Z today and boy is this more than I expected. For starters there's way more to the HVAC controls than what you said Ali. There's two plugs, six tubes, and then a hard line, like a bicycle brake line. But that's really the least of it. It all moves easily to the stereo hole. The worst part is the air duct that's behind the HVAC controls, its the one that goes to the little bitty vent about the HVAC controls. But you can cut it out and have plenty of room, which I did, but it wasn't easy to say the least. It's made out of a semi rubber plastic, I used a razor knife, tin snips, and a chisel. This was one of those times where I just didn't have the right tool to do the job. Space is very limited where you need to cut it. I'm planning on getting some great stuff expanding foam and stuffing a rag down the vent next to the glove box to block the hole and that should seal it up. Then I had to cut some of the dash by the gauges in order to make room for the stereo. (I should of took pics and did a guide for this, I'll do it tomorrow I guess) So tonight I'm going to start in making brakets out of aluminum for the stereo to fit the HVAC hole, and then tomorrow I'm going to run over to a salave yard and see if I can find a set of HVAC controls that aren't so dang deformed. The shape of these things is just crap and I can't think of a way to make it work without it looking stupid. So once I get those then I'll make a braket for that and then it's put everything back together. The wires from the stereo moved very easy as well. I'm going to have to put a back brace in there for the stereo to keep it from moving around, I don't think the braket I'm going to make will be sturdy enough to keep the back from moving around.

And I also cracked my top dash getting it out, that pissed me off so bad, but it didn't break, just cracked, so I have some epoxy on it now. It cracked nicely, sounds weird. But with it flat you can't see the crack lines unless you really look close. So it sucked, but it's not that bad. The only person that will know it's there is me.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Overdrive Member

yeah i cracked my top dash when i took mine out too.Hmm thats odd mine just had the two plug wires thats it,there wasnt any tubes.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:09 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, I gotta it setting with epoxy on it, looks like it's going to work great. I got a rough bracket made up for the stereo to fit into the HVAC spot. Gott get some stuff tomorrow to do the rest. I'm going to paint it black, wish there was some way to give it that plastic look so it would match the other trim in the car. Maybe I can find some plastic to put over it.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:15 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I spent most of last night making a bracket to fit the HVAC spot, but it's not going to work. There's enough room, but I would have to cut the gauge trim to make the opening big enough, and I'm not going to get into that right meow. So I'm just going to put it back together after sealing up the air duct I cut out. It will be revisited later on. But thanks for the help ali and everyone.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Overdrive Member

sorry to hear that man,would love to see it done! its great to see custom stuff done

Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe when I get into a house I can revisit it. Everything is pretty much setup, just going to have to come up with what to do about the gauge trim after I cut it, maybe just bondo it and paint it to match the car. I don't know yet.