Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

HVAC/radio location switch info.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:42 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default HVAC/radio location switch info.

Hey, I'm looking to do this becaue my flip out covers up the HVAC controls and it's a pain in the butt. So any info would be appreciated, did a search and didn't find anything on it.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Overdrive Member

do you have a pic of your center console ? im not familiar with all the 4th gen years...

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm pretty sure it's just like yours. Old pic, but you get the point.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here's why I want to switch it all around.

I was totally against flip out dvd's until we got one in our jeep and with the nav and bluetooth it's just fricken god sent. But I would love to be able to use the a/c controls without putting the screen away.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

i was going to get a double din or flip out in mine but dint like the specs, the best i could find was eclipse but they failed to deliver, i settled on the classic cda-7897 alpine, but i might be able 2 help if u tell me where u want to locate them. most likely you will need smaller ***** to find a good spot, hit the wrecking yards

Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Overdrive Member

the only think is the HVAC controls clip in there where it is now so even if you did this,it would be a lot of custom fitting,even the radio bracket would have to squeeze in where the hvac control switches are

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't care about the custom fab. I have several dash kits I can canibalize or I can do fiberglass if I need to, but would rather have it look stockish if at all possible. My main concern is what kind of wires/hoses run into the back of the HVAC controls and can I move them easily or will that be a pain in the butt. I think as long as the HVAC wires will reroute to the stereo opening, and there's enought room in the back for the headunit to fit, then it shouldn't be that hard a job. I've only had the HVAC out once a long time ago and I don't remember how all that looked in there.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Overdrive Member

its a multi-color wire that runs into the back of the hvac controls,they can easily be moved down to where you would put it.I believe its a 16 wire plug that goes into the back of the hvac controls,dont quote me on it im just trying to remember from the top of my head lol.There isnt any hoses you have to worry about,just wires.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That's cool, thanks ali. Any idea if a head unit would have enough room to fit in there?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
4th Gear Member

I saw a post at one point in time where I guy relocated his HVAC controls to the console at the bottom. You could use the control switches from a 98+ (since they are square). I'm curious as to whether a 98+ center console would fit as well because you could relocate the cigarette lighter to the power jack in the 98+ and then put your convert switch somewhere on it?

Just trying to give ya ideas

Quick Reply: HVAC/radio location switch info.