93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

What are your thoughts on custom tail lights?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What are your thoughts on custom tail lights?

I'm wanting to make some custom tail lights for my 01 and I'm looking for some input. The C5 ones are the only ones I've actually seen a picture of but they were flush mounted and didn't look good because of it. These are some of my thoughts so far, any of these I do would be done in led:

1st gen Camaro or Firebird - Full of juicy retro goodness

C5 Corvette oval - these would have to sit flush since there's not enough space to recess them like on a vette and it just wouldn't look good. Are the led ones shallower?

Circle Corvette - same issue as c5s on depth, not sure about height

5th gen Camaro tail lights (10-13) - more modern look

Ferrari - stick out or flush type? I think the stick out type might look good

Lotus Elise - Simalar to the flush Ferrari tails. I've seen a pic of these in the process of being modded onto a miata. I know it's comparing apples to horse crap but still gave me an idea of what they look like on other cars

Also need ideas on the reverse lights on some of these since they don't have them. I'm thinking next to the license plate vette style. I'm also thinking of glassing the berger panel to the tail lights for one seamless panel.

Thanks guys

Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM

I think the oval C5 lights would look killer. I'd think you could get away with re-ceasing them if you ran LED or made custom housings with LEDS.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM
4th Gear Member

i like the aftermarket ones clear is nice chrome ,black led ,the clear can be had for like 45.00 a set an dot approved,i think nea all look better then stock ones ,what kinda hacking needs to be done to fit c5 tail lights on 4th gen,i have a stock one my 99 was full of water i had to drill holes in it ,

Old 12-03-2015, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karate
I think the oval C5 lights would look killer. I'd think you could get away with re-ceasing them if you ran LED or made custom housings with LEDS.
I think that with some led lights, bumper from a c5 to cut the light mounts out of and a spare set of 4th gen tails it might be doable. Even better if I can find a pair of 4th gen tails with busted lenses, cheap or free and less work.

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
i like the aftermarket ones clear is nice chrome ,black led ,the clear can be had for like 45.00 a set an dot approved,i think nea all look better then stock ones ,what kinda hacking needs to be done to fit c5 tail lights on 4th gen,i have a stock one my 99 was full of water i had to drill holes in it ,
I like the black leds but I hate those stupid reflectors in the middle. All I know about the c5s is I saw a pic of a 4th gen with them flush mounted. It looked ok but would've looked lots better if they were recessed.

I'm looking at getting the european style c5 leds with the reverse on the lights.