93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

New UltraZ Hood for my RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Overdrive Member

^ Looks like this is the proper airbox for the Ultra-Z hood, did you have this one? This seems to be a 93-97 style, however... I think the Trufiber hoods are a duplicate of the SLP ones, maybe a bit different...

Name:  DSC03532.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  116.3 KB

Looks like this may be similar:
http://suncoastcreations.com/21004k-...-kit-prod.html

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-15-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added airbox link
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

No I didn't have that setup. But that setup wouldn't work well because the scoop on the ultra z is way down at the start of the hood, and sits low. That air box in the picture is much too high and is angled the wrong way for it to be effective. The standard air box is fine/perfect for the ultra z hood, because the air box pickup is low and in line with the scoop. However, performance gains will be as negligible as swapping out your air filter.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Others say different in this thread (but I think they're referring to the original w/special air box):
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f35/cowl-ultra-z-100204/

Hard to tell from photos, looks like this Z Style hood (not the Ultra Z) may have a different style intake config -- note the black spot. Seems like this is more like the original Ultra Z, these others from VFN and Trufiber seem like variations and knock-offs...

Chevrolet - Camaro Z Style 1998-2002 Functional Ram Air Hood (#21004)

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Unless someone in that thread posted before/after dyno or track results, then I stand by opinion in that it will do absolutely nothing. I have seen people try to prove ram air on tech, and they never can provide anything thats more substantial than their butt dyno.

That hood is definately different. The ultra z I had did not have that large opening on the top of the hood. The only opening was at the very front/tip

Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Just looked in the 2007 SLP Catalog, here's what it says:

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090...66080224346806

Further, it looks like the original is made of composite by ACS (scroll to the bottom!):
http://www.acscomposite.com/hoods.html

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-15-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I run the Ultra Z hood with an SLP lid off an ls1. Mine is a real SLP hood though, so idk if that makes a difference. I can definitely hear the air sucking through if I put my ear to the scoop.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just because you can hear it doesn't mean much. I can easily hear the air being sucked in my Ranger with its exposed cone filter, doesn't mean it has any performance benefits.

ASC did the WS6 conversions, they may have done the SS ones too but I always figured SLP actually did those. The pictures there are SS hoods, not Ultra Z ones, but that might be the hood you linked prior, with the large opening more towards the center.

The ultra z I had was a Trubifiber I think, the opening was on the front, by the nose of the car. It lined up well with the bottom of the airbox, but seeing as that air would probably get pulled down to the radiator, I tried to seal it off like the JAAM plate does. Even with it like that, no difference, and like I said the butt dyno doesn't count and no one has ever provided tangible evidence that ram air from the ws6, ss or any other hood exists. Also remember, these cars like to suck air up from the bottom, hence why the SLP, Fast Toys and SSRA are actually worth the cost and do, to some degree, help.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Overdrive Member
ACS did the Ultra-Z ones too (contracted by SLP, as SLP did with many items they offered), read the wording, it's the same for the Ultra-Z ones as well as the SS/WS6 hoods:

Here's the entire 2007 SLP catalog:
http://www.slponline.com/pdf/catalog...dy_Catalog.pdf

2006:
http://www.slponline.com/pdf/SLP_2006_20P.pdf

I also found out that VFN Fiber Glass-Official Site has actual SLP molds of their Ultra-Z hoods and they make them in Illinois... Trufiber hoods are made in China and shipped here, which is why they're a little cheaper...

Also, you mention the JaAM kit, they have some performance details here:
http://www.bermudahousefl.com/jaamen...%20Rev%202.pdf

I think the SLP CAI is way more effective than this though.

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
ASC did the WS6 conversions, they may have done the SS ones too but I always figured SLP actually did those. The pictures there are SS hoods, not Ultra Z ones, but that might be the hood you linked prior, with the large opening more towards the center.

The ultra z I had was a Trubifiber I think, the opening was on the front, by the nose of the car. It lined up well with the bottom of the airbox, but seeing as that air would probably get pulled down to the radiator, I tried to seal it off like the JAAM plate does. Even with it like that, no difference, and like I said the butt dyno doesn't count and no one has ever provided tangible evidence that ram air from the ws6, ss or any other hood exists. Also remember, these cars like to suck air up from the bottom, hence why the SLP, Fast Toys and SSRA are actually worth the cost and do, to some degree, help.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-17-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Overdrive Member
Question

Would you mind posting a photo of where the air opening is under the hood? I would like to compare to the Trufiber one, which I'll probably order... TIA!

Originally Posted by Socom
I run the Ultra Z hood with an SLP lid off an ls1. Mine is a real SLP hood though, so idk if that makes a difference. I can definitely hear the air sucking through if I put my ear to the scoop.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Would you mind posting a photo of where the air opening is under the hood? I would like to compare to the Trufiber one, which I'll probably order... TIA!
Here it is. Dont mind it being dirty. I can reach through the opening and see my hand, i think its curved inside a bit to prevent water getting in.
Name:  photo_zps56c2cfb7.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  49.4 KB

Quick Reply: New UltraZ Hood for my RS